Fletch the hunt 2014

Fletch

12/3 am 41

Man there were a bunch of tracks on the lower end going in this morn. I header to the farther end and ran outa tracks. I did see a couple single sets with good sized tracks. Maybe some bucks cruising for any second time does.

Sat for couple hours it was a super morning but I think the deer were pooped from last night!

12/4 am 32

Sat for two hours in the tower. Man it felt colder. The wind was sharp!! I have not seen a deer in a few days. I think gun season has kicked in!! lol

Been hoping to maybe luck into a cruising buck looking for a second month doe.

12/4 pm

Out back in the far stand for 1.5 hours. I hit a moose on a track going in. Had to be 3.25 inches long, jeesh would like to run into the deer that left those!  Quiet till about 4:15 or so and see a small deer run across out front at 75 yards, then I see it run back a ways? Then I see a couple more way out. Looked like a doe and 2 or 3 fawns. Too far out and headed for the fields down the road.

12/5 pm 24

Sat in the far stand out back. About 3:15 had 2 flats go by too far out. Then about 4 had one run back and forth way up the ridge and cut out right too far. A bit after that I hear my bro shoot. Bit after that I heard some in the woodlot between us. He texted me he shot at a doe and could not get down yet deer walking all over. Had some on his right and another coming from the front. It is stating to get dim now and my feet are blocks of ice. I cant get down now cause the deer are walking towards me. You can hear crunching hundreds yards away! Finally they pass I cant see crap so I head towards my bro. I hit the creek and jump a deer it runs towards the houses. I go another 10 yards and jump another I flashlight it and it circles me to the left. I get to my bro and my bro in law came over too. We finally find hair but a lotta white. Search and search and can not find a drop of blood. It is cold so we back out for morn.

12/6 am 20

Sat in the tower for 1.5 hours wind chill was 8. Brrrr

Nothing going on.

Went down to where we left off last night and started again. I finally found a touch more hair and got on the does tracks. Not a drop of blood. I am working down creek bottom and I see her laying. The I see a yote had found her first, damn. Ate the hind quarters out of her. The shot was way low through the brisket, she did not go maybe 100 yards but with no blood rrrrrrr. Then as I was at the deer I hear crunch crunch the little yote scum come trotting down the creek. I lit a 50 cal. ml round at him. He took off like a bat, not sure how I missed maybe I didn't, was not going to bother chasing it.

11/8 am 30

Out back hit the tower blind for 1.5. Had about an inch of snow down and more falling. Visibility was way down but I had been seeing track around this stand every morning it has snowed. Well not this morning!! Must of moved before it started. It is supposed to snow for the next two days so we will see how much we get. Looks like it will be snow down through the end of the season.

Man whos dating the entries!! lol

it is 12/11 today I got off a day or two or month!!

12/11 am 30

Still snowing, have about 16 inches on the ground, heavy stuff. I went in just at sunrise to ease through. A couple tracks from maybe yesterday eve and nothing else. Sat in stand for a while then eased around some more. I did bump one but did not get a good look and it ran towards the houses.

I would have been fine with 4 inches of snow!!

12/12 am 27

Out back and poked around for 2 hours. Worked from one end of the 40 acres I can hunt to the other and cut one track that I think was the one I jumped yesterday. Man the snow has them sure hunkered down.

Called my bud outside Albany who has 90 acres unhunted all season, was gonna pop out there but he has 2 feet! I have the next 4 days off this last push is going to be a tough one me thinks.

12/12 pm 30

STUPID DEER!

So I sneak out to catch the last 45 minutes or so. Its a 3 minute walk from the garage door to my field edge stand. I cruise around the shed not paying much mind and glance up and there is a doe just saw me along the back edge of the yard. She even stopped to give me a shot. No dice on that neighbors house only 150 feet behind to my left. I think it is the same one deer from the past 2.5 days. LOL some times the hunting Gods just like to tease you!!

12/13

Another beaut of a day!

Sat first watch nothing come out and 3 deer and a yote had crossed at edge of lawn and woods. My bro snuck around and pushed the thicket they went into and put em up but towards the houses

Then decided to go still hunt some state. I hit once spot I like but where I wanted to go was man tracked up. Got done there and head over to check out another side. Did some hiking and that spot was a bust not any tracks nothin.

Get home take a short break and eat. Go to get ready to head in behind house and notice my licenses and tags missing. I keep in a zipped pocket on my coat arm. I also zip my key in there well when I got out to the truck I unzipped to get key and musta left it open then took off coat and out it went. So I drive to lot I am 99.9 percent sure where it fell out and nothing. Spent the next two hours backtracking every step that day. Nope. Hit dicks and had to get reprints. Someone had to pick them up.

Edited by Fletch

12/14

Drove to Tully for am hunt that was not a good idea! 20 inches snow with frozen on top! Turned around drove back home got out back about 30 mins after legal. Nothing. Then My brother in law and I went to Howland island and put a bunch of miles on. We did put up a group of 5 but no shots. Long day.

12/16

BIL and I behind house first sit nothing. We then hit 3 Rivers and did some walking. Deer are sure in the swamps! No luck getting them out though!

Back out back for last watch, man it was wet! I had one come out right before the end at 40 yards. It was a little one and all alone. Got a pass and was a good end to the season.