Fletch the hunt 2014

Fletch

11/3 am 42

Finally wind was not bad! Got out back for 2 hours. Around 8am had 2 run in behind me right into my downwind. I get my bow and clip on and I move my wrist back to put tension on the release getting ready to draw if I get a shot. Well I did not have the release on all the way and the release pops off and the arrow goes into the ground 2 feet out and 20 down! Nice!  I get another arrow on and the one a big dark doe hits a lane stops broadside and looking away. I range her and 44 yards, just too much for me. I will shoot out to 40 if perfect but she was edgy in my downwind so she turns walking away. The smaller one is at 34 but no angle and she was not to big anyway....At least I finally saw a deer that was not within 10 minutes of first or last light!! Not sure why they were running, nothing came in behind them.

11/4 am 52

It was a bit warm and very quiet this morning. One of the few times the leaves have been crunchy, nothing sneaking today!

About 10 of 7 I had one cross about 90 yards out in the edge of the pines, still dim and could not tell what it was. 20 minutes later I had a doe come in from the right side and cut out front about 60 yards out, no shot op. She was all alone. Then around 8 am I had a little buck come in right to me slowly eating here and there. It was a spike trying to be a 4 point put the two point off one spike where not an inch. He chewed the branch in my scrape and hung around for 10 minutes then eased out back to the creek bottom.

Movement is picking up in daylight.

I want to get back out but 63 degrees right now!!

11/4 pm 66

Not sure why I went out in 66 but the deer were moving today. I just got out for last hour. I did have a button come in right under me. He was a big button I want to run into him in 3-4-5 years!! I got stuck in stand 15 minutes past total dark waiting for him to leave!

11/6/14 am 36

Bumped one right where I go in. I sneaked around it and went on. Up in stand well before light. I hear two different ones go by before I can see. After light I see the 2 trying to be a 4 point go by about 75 yards out. The about 7:30 or so had the spike come in under me at about 15 yards. Sat for 2.5 hours.

Pulled the cam by the field on way in. Deer were moving yesterday! had the first one I saw this morn chasing a doe by the cam in the morn and a decent 8 point walked by as I am sitting on other end of property.

Looks like a lotta crap weather coming and I took tomorrow off.

11/7 pm 40

Rain pretty much stopped. Hit the deep hole stand for 3 hours. Just a super deer feeling night. It hailed it snowed it rained the sun shined!!!! And I did not see a stinkin deer.

Pulled the cam and in 6 days one small deer went by at 1 am. Oh no what is up, this is my buck hole!! It has got to be all the corn still standing across the street! This hurts, I will stay outa there and hope the corn gets cut.

11/8 am 36

Out back with bro for 3.5 hours. Bumped one going in. Had one go through in the dark first off. Just after sunrise had the spike almost a 4 go by behind me at 25. Headed towards my bro. He picked up a doe and followed her past him at 60. Around 8 I had a basket 6 or 8 cutting out left of me. I canned him and he turned out in front of me but no closer than 50. I threw the works at him for calls but he said no sir.

Headed back in at 1:30ish and jumped one right off the bat. Got half way to stand and I see the horizontal line to my left across creekbed and freeze. Deer looking right at me. Finally it turns and I pull back then see the spikes na off he walks. He went by my bro about 60 out. Sat 3 hours nutin else. Headed out and bumped one slowly pushed it towards bro. Is was past shooting time and he was down but it went by him and was a buck not sure how big.

6 days oh boy

10/9 pm 46

Back out back for 2.5 hours with bro and bro in law.

I heard crashing way out in the pines out front around 3 and I figured deer running so I get ready and here comes that basket from yesterday haulin. He stops 60 yards out for a minute then starts trotting to my right side and I scan ahead and have one good hole. I draw back and grunt he stops perfect in it. I have to bend my knees a bit and crouch to get my sight on him below a branch. Get pin on spot and squeeze. I actually pick up the arrow right off and it is running true and about halfway there snap I hit that twig and threw the arrow off. Buck runs about 30 yards stops and trots off without a care!! It happened too fast and I did not have time to process the arrow arc!! I can promise you that there will be a tree gone tomorrow. I sat there afterward and wondered why I had no good lane in that spot, just never had a shot op there before and I cant cut em all down!!

Saw two doe about 10 minutes before sunset behind me they were just browsing slowly out about 80 yards.

Down to 5 days of bow. I'll be out every morn and off Friday. Hope I get another shot.

The boys did not see anything.

Edited by Fletch

11/10 pm

Got hung at work so was not going to get out then said screw it 30 minutes better than none. Hit tower 5 minute walk. Getting in it I heard something down the bottom. Get in stand and settled down here comes a deer right at me. Didn't it catch me moving and busted!! lol small flathead.

11/11 am 54

Out for 3.5 hours behind the house. Had the basket go by about 100 yards out at 8:30. Not responsive at all to can or grunt. Laying off the calls, nothing likes them this year!

Pulled clover cam and a real nice 8 was there yesterday morn 1/4 to 8 hmm was at other

Edited by Fletch

11/11 pm 65

Well it was quite warm so easing to my stand a bit before 2 and not expecting much before last light with the heat. So of course 2 doe 50 yards from my stand bust me in the potato chip leaves. Sit for 3 hours and nada. On way out jump a couple by the middle stand.

Seeing lots of deer but time is running short on bow season! That polar air coming in tomorrow looks nice!! I will be out in the am if the rain is not to bad, I wish I could do afternoon the temp is supposed to tank into the 30s by sunset but I have a bunch of meetings..... workin for a living sucks!!

11/12 am 57-44

Got out for 2 hours this morn. It was 57 and windy when I left the house at 5:40 and 54 by 6 when I got set up in stand. At 9 it was 44 out. I thought for sure the drop would have them moving..... Just like yesterday when they should not of been when 65!! I have no idea what I am doing!! lol

11/13 am 34

Sat out back for 2 hours. Jumped one just off the lawn going in. Nothing else.

My brother hunted out back tonight I got stuck at work. He saw 5 in 1.5 hours. He had a doe and something off one side for 40 minutes and another behind him. Then a grunting one coming down ridge straight at him that turned out to be the BIG 10 point I have not had on cam since summer. Coming right to him then from out front another grunter coming in full bore. This one is the nice 8 pic above who slams right into the 10 and they both go slamming each other running up the ridge away!! He never had a shot he was still all wound up when he came in to tell me. Thinks he is gonna be a sick day tomorrow!! For sure a hot doe, hope she is not ready to get locked up till after tomorrow. I got the day off.

Edited by Fletch

11/14 am 34

Had a little snow down first time this season. % sets of tracks across the back lawn another 4 or so between there and my stand. Sat 2 hours nothing. My bro was in his stand and nothing. Two does did move by the cam at 8 and I pushed one on way out.

11/14 pm 32 wind chill 23

Out back in my bros stand for 3 hours. Nothing as I get down heading out 2 were coming down trail.

Well that was it for bow season first wiff in 10 years!!

Not even sure where I am going tomorrow. My nephew and bro in law will be out back in the tower blind.

11/15 28-34

Well we all decided to hunt out behind the house. First opener we hunted here in the 13 years I have been here.

So around 7:10 i hear something coming in the pines out front. The snow is crunchy and loud. It ends up being a fisher very cool. I actually call him in to 18 yards to get some vid and pics. While this going on I hear crunching to my right and turn and see deer running in. Two were fawns and a third I could not tell swing out 100 plus yards out then I hear another more right. This was a nice doe and she cut behind me. I was sitting and at a bad angle due to fisher so I had to wait as she walked 20 yards behind me to get by so I could turn. I finally got a steep angling away shot at about 45 yards or so. She hunched up and went about 50 yards and just stopped. Then I saw a flash and lost her. I figured she fell over.

So then I sit back down to watch for more. About 20 minutes later I hear more behind me. A doe and fawn are crossing the crick behind me angling down creek towards my nephew I hope. Then a little 4/6 point comes after them. I had a shot at 80 but he was young and was hoping he might head to nephew too. The does turned and went up ridge and the buck stopped when he crossed my dead doe and stayed with her for 20 minutes until I finally got down to try to bump him to my nephew. That did not work so I got back in stand and 10 minutes later a different doe walked out of front of my box blind my nephew and his dad were in and one shot his first deer!

post-481-14160974885594_thumb.jpg

Mine

post-481-14160975223861_thumb.jpg

His

We got those out and hung had lunch and went back in for a short watch. I saw a nice fox. At 2 we went to another prop to hunt last watch. Right away a fawn went by my bro then me. Then right past legal I had 2 fawns and a doe come out and then a small grunting buck chased them away.

I saw 12 deer a fisher and a fox and have two doe hanging in the shed! Nice day.

Edited by Fletch
  • Like 4