Every Now and Zem-2014

Zem18

Had a huge 9 or 10pt show up on the trail cam the last few nights around 8pm. Had a few smaller bucks show up as well. They are moving in the area, but all at night still.

It's nice to see what is out there for sure but it can drive you crazy too. I can't get out during the week so I live for the weekend hunts, and they are too short due to all the chores I have on my list this year.

I can get a quick morning hunt in tomorrow and then off to my son's soccer game at 1030. Got a few projects to work on and then a late afternoon/evening hunt. Should be nice and chilly in the morning as no clouds here tonight. Will post up again tomorrow.

Btw - my daughter's modified girls soccer team played their last game tonight and won 17-0 to complete an undefeated season. Congrats to them for all the hard work they put in.

• Like 1

Zem,

Good deal on the soccer!! We have a game at 10:30 also. Field Hockey playoffs start today. Damn coach is crazy. She announced that a JV player will be starting in today's game. That is total BS has a lot of players pissed. It's her niece to boot. Back to hunting, good luck and check out the long range forecast. Clear the decks for net weekend. Highs low 40's lows in the 20's.

• Like 1

My son finished modified soccer Thursday! 8-1-1 one less sport for a couple weeks till the next starts. Daughter is on way to Boonville for cross country this am. Her last run till sectionals. Then basketball starts. Feel like a taxi a lot! Lpl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yeah I am definitely the taxi. We have a week off and then indoor soccer starts up. Footskills on Sunday night and practices Tuesday and Thursday. Crazy, I tell ya.

10-25-14

I got up and made it to the in laws house at 635am. I am getting my gear from the trunk of the car and I hear footsteps behind me in the leaves. I turn around and there is a deer coming up the neighbor's driveway and into my in laws front yard. Was still dark so not sure what it was. Made it into stand by 640 and spooked one(first one this year impressively) who decided to blow twice. Climbed up and a few minutes later had one come down past the upper stand I was not in.

Just after 7, a small doe was headed towards me and she stopped to feed 35 yards away. I was focused on her and had a spike or 3pt come strolling by at 15 yards and head right towards the Apple tree. He was in no hurry and did a complete circle around me and proceeded to feed with the small doe for the next hour and 45 minutes within 50 or 60 yards of me. I was loving the live decoys but no older siblings showed up. Got down around 930 as we had a game this morning.

Boy did it warm up and the wind was obnoxious as always. Got out late, 430pm, but at least I got out. Had 1 doe too far for a shot right about 6:10pm and she was jumpy due to the wind and headed straight back into the deep woods.

Going to head out with my buddy in the morning. Checked trail cam and we had a big black furry visitor last night at 723pm. Ill post up pics of the buck and bear tomorrow.

Edited by Zemmer18

Was in the stand by 6:50am. As everyone else has pointed out, it was a tad on the windy side this morning. My ladder stand was squeaking and rocking so you know it was whipping. I saw zip from my stand location this morning and my buddy saw 3 but all out over 40 yards away. Decided to check out a few other spots from the road and saw this 8pt with a doe on the eastern slope of a hill out of the wind

8%20point%201_zpspad7c2oe.jpg

8%20point%202_zpsb3nnplug.jpg

Here is a picture of the 9pt from the trail cam the other night:

IMG950482_zpslx4y0h7w.jpg

And here is our furry little friend: It is the same bear in both pics

IMG950486_zpsw2egts9y.jpg

]IMG950485_zps6ln2md4i.jpg

Having trouble with the video of the spike or 3pt buck I saw the other morning. I'll work on it and get it posted.

Edited by Zemmer18

Fletch - this is the first I have seen a bear or sign in my area. That pic of the bear is the same spot that the small buck is walking by in the video (next to the blue pool liner) as that is where the cam is, 21yards away.

First - It did look like he was making a face. I would be stoked to get a shot at that buck but not counting on it. I've had lots of bigger deer on cam in the past and it seems they are just cruising and never come back during daylight or at all.

So now that you've seen the bear pics, is it just me and my buddy or is that bear huge? The first pic makes it look giant but can't figure out if it is just the angle and how close it is to the cam or if it is really that big. I have no interest in taking the bear but my buddy might if he gets the chance. He still hasn't decided.

11-1-14

My buddy and i decided to hunt my in laws this morning. We were in the stands by 6:45am and could hear the deer walking in the leaves behind our stands. Once it got light it was super quiet until the squirrels and chippies started moving. Those suckers are so loud that I almost missed the Momma and two little ones who walked within 30 yards of me.

Had my bow in hand and thought mommy was headed my way so I clipped my release on and she busted that small twitch and took off. The little ones followed, only to come back within 10 minutes right underneath me without momma. The bigger of the two babies was bleating away.Was loving the live decoys but they were running and skipping around and didn't stay long. Stayed out until 10 but nothing else showed.

Drove to another property and got out to speed scout for this afternoon or tomorrow morning. Had four doe bedded under one of the four stands, right off the driveway. Put a small stalk on but they were onto us. Checked the other stands and walked right past a bedded doe. She got up when we passed, and just walked off. We are headed out to the other property this afternoon and possibly lying tomorrow morning. Hopefully a change of scenery and give the other spot a rest will be beneficial to everyone.

The pic of the 8pt above in the Orange leaves is on the same hill as this other property so maybe he will cruise on by. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Edited by Zemmer18

11.1.14 pm hunt

So my buddy and I left the house at 2:30 this afternoon. Made it to the property just before 3. There are 5 stands and we chose to sit the lower two as this is where we saw the deer this morning. Well me made the right choice, both of us. We were covered up in deer from the time we got there until 6pm.

My buddy saw 4 doe and a 6pt and a large wide spike. I had the spike sneak in behind me to 15 yards and when I turned my head to see the squirrel making all the racket, I was surprised to say the least. Also had 3 doe and either a 6 or an 8 come in within 30 yards but lots of twigs and brush between us. Buck chased mommy doe away and the little ones followed.

Saw 7 more deer on the ride home. Even though it was windy as all get up and I was numb, it was an awesome night. Going to be in the same stand in the morning and will take the first good shot possible as I may not get to hunt next weekend so this may be my last chance.

Got a call from another buddy when I got home and he shot a 4 or 5pt at 4:30 this afternoon. Leaving in 5 minutes to go help butcher it up then get to bed. 5:30 is going to roll around quick.

Buddy called me and said he wasn't going so I went alone. Hunted same property as last night but I sat in the 10ft ladder stand (my buddies stand) versus the 15ft stand I was in last night. Thank goodness as that wind was brutal and gusts were whipping. I dressed in several layers and never got cold.

Within minutes of being in the stand, I could hear a turkey gobbling on the ridge. He was going nuts. I saw him come booking down the ridge and run to my left as it was getting light just after 6. By 6:30am I had 3 doe come by, two of them passing within 30yds but both were small.

About 5 minutes later a 4pt came by and followed the 2 doe that went by fairly close. A few minutes later, the 4pt came right behind my stand and proceeded to mill around within 5 to yards from me. I shot a quick video I will post up later. I was tempted but passed as he was small and deserves to get bigger.

Just before 8am I saw deer off to my left about 70 yards out. Thought they were coming my way but they changed course and fed up a ridge away from me. There were 7 total in the group.

Got a call from my daughter that the wife was having stomach pain and felt like passing out so I had to get down and fly home to make sure all was OK. After about an hour after I got home, she was feeling a little better.

Not sure when I'll get back out but hope to get at least one more bow hunt in before gun starts. With everyone's busy schedule we still haven't made it to the cabin so that is the plan for next Saturday. Nothing like waiting til the last minute.

I know. I passed on mom n the twins and now nothing has come into range of any size. I've seen deer almost every hunt so I can't complain there but I've been picky this year. Should be able to get morning hunts in next weekend and that will be it for bow for me. I might not be as picky then.

I have another video to upload and will post later of the 4pt I saw Sunday morning.

Went to 2nd property with my buddy this morning. We were in the stand by 545 but it was getting light quick. Light dusting in a few spots so no help from the snow God's. Was super quiet out there and in the mid 20s so standing still was not an option. Around 715 I get a text that a deer came over the hill above me. I waited and watched but nothing appeared. I then heard a can call and some grunts about 755am from my buddy. Two minutes later the leaves are rustling and the deer are coming right too me. I grab the bow and clip on and the first two doe are past me with the third just about to pass me. I look and a fourth is coming and it is a buck, so I get to full draw and start mouth calling to get him to stop. No luck until he stops about 40yds away.

The four of them stand there for 3 to 4 minutes and decide to continue on across the road, when something spooks the lead doe and she turns to run the trail 10 yards in front of me. She is headed straight on at me with a little skipper right behind her. No shot and she stops right behind some brush only 8 yards from me and probably the only spot I don't have a shot from this stand. At this point the 4pt with a big body is coming straight at me so I see steaks on the grill in my head and draw as he is only 20yds away and closing. He stops head on, slightly quartering to so I hold and he turns broadside. I am anchored and I slam the trigger in all the excitement. He jumps and walks off unscathed as I shot about 2 yards over his back. It was cold and I had some buck fever and forgot to squeeze so I am very thankful for the clean miss and not a wounding shot. Man were my knees knocking. Recovered a pristine and clean arrow, except for some dirt on the broadhead. No blood in area or on trail he walked up.

The fourth deer, a doe was coming on the same path as the buck so I nocked another arrow but she stayed out at 25yds and didn't stop until she was behind some brush. No shot as she walked up into the woods.

Saw one more doe running out of the pines behind me around 910am and that was it. My buddy saw 11 deer from his stand and a flock of about 15 turkey. I saw 4 doe and the 4pt.

Plan to hunt same spot in the morning and stay a little later. Had to leave around 920 today to head down to the cabin and get a few last minute chores done before next weekend. Everything is ready to go for the gun opener.

My buddy hunted this afternoon and he saw the 4pt from this morning cruising the area still. Have two nice 8's on cam from this week so maybe, just maybe one will move during light tomorrow. Hopefully I can keep my composure. If I ever lose that adrenalin rush, I will quit hunting.

I didn't feel too bad and know I was at fault. Had high hopes for this morning. No rain over night and was overcast but 42 degrees. Just after Sun up it started to drizzle and continued on and off until 915 and then the sun came out. We sat from 6 til 10 and I didn't see a single deer. My buddy saw 3 but all small and no shots, all out at a distance. He has Tuesday off but today was my last bow hunt. Kinda sad but looking forward to the regular and especially the late season. Had a blast last year, late.

If my memory is correct, there were only 2 hunts this bow season, that I was skunked and did not see a deer. Damn good year for sightings. Let's hope that continues into the regular season.

Ill be heading down Friday night after work with my brother in law, father in law, a friend of my bils, and two other members from southeastern NY. 6 guys on 328 acres equally a lot of hiking and tough hunting but it's great being out there. I only took Monday off so hoping to get something in the first three days. Then there is always Turkeyday and that weekend so no worries.

Good luck to all and be safe if I don't post again before Friday. Thanks for reading thus far and will update when I get back.

Luck seemed to be on my side as I had the best opening day I have ever had.

11-15-14

My BIL picked me up at 5:15pm Friday night and we headed down to camp. We made a stop at a house about 100yds from the entrance to our cabin. We met with another hunter in our group and all of us had a shot and a beer to toast for a good hunt the next morning. Finally made it to the camp around 8pm. My FIL was already there and had the cabin all toasty warm. We ate a little and then played poker until around 1am.

Woke up at 5:30am and stated getting ready. My BIL and his buddy were going to hunt fairly close to my favorite spot so they left just before me. I rushed to get out in case they bumped anything my way. I crossed the creek and started up the mountain to a small flat that I hunt. I just crested over the top and I heard footsteps in the leaves so I froze. There was a mature doe walking right at me less than 20yds away. I think we surprised each other. I had the rifle up but she was facing head on to me and I didn't like that brisket shot. She looked me over and turned so I followed her in scope but she didn't stop. I caught movement to my right and saw her two skippers high tail it from my right to my left and mommy followed. I was confused by what made them run until I heard the leaves erupting and limbs and twigs snapping. I look to my right and here come to black furry bears running straight at me. They got to within 35 or 40 yards and saw me, so they veered off and headed down the mountain I just climbed up.

I decided to move forward, thinking I can sneak up on the does who made it to the next flat I usually hunt. I take 10 steps and hear more rustling to my right. I look and here come the male bear, again running straight at me. He wouldn't have stopped if I didn't shout at him, but he hit the brakes about 25 yards from me and was staring at me. I could see the brown patch on the tip of his nose with my bare eyes so he was close. He looked left then right and I twitched a little and he took off the same way mom and cub went. I wasn't in the woods 5 minutes and saw 3doe and 3bear. I snuck to my spot about another 100yards up and was sweating and heart racing from the climb and all the action.

I cleaned the leaves out by the base of the Hemlock and grabbed a Mountain Dew from my pack. I just finished chugging the dew and see deer coming my way. It took them about 3 minutes to get out of the brush where I could see them. I scoped both, one was a spike, and the other was a half rack 4 or 6. As I am watching them, I hear footsteps from behind me so I turn to see a yearling doe walking past me on a deer run at 30 yards. She never saw me and then dropped over the ridge towards where I ran into the bear. I look back at the buck and they turned straight away and headed back the way they came. 5 minutes later I see two sets of legs to the left of where the bucks first came out. They circled a small rock outcrop and went back away for me, like the bucks did.

Another 15 minutes goes by and here comes a doe from the same direction the bucks were. She is coming in on a run headed right at me. She holds up at 40 yards and scent checks the air from behind a few trees. I am scoping her and decide she is small and watch her turn and walk back away from me. Now I'm thinking they can smell me from all the sweat but I could have shot, so I just stayed put to see what else would come along. It didn't take long and I see another deer headed my way on the same run the doe had come in on. This one was bigger and not holding up. I was kneeling so I just sat as low as I could get with my back to the tree. I get the rifle up now that the deer cleared the brush and I see antlers, so I focus on the left side and count at least 3, that's when I see at least 3 on the other side. He was a decent body size as well so I just let him keep coming. He got to 20 yards headed straight on to me and then turned to his right and stopped broadside. I settle my crosshairs and squeeze the trigger. The buck takes off like I missed so I chamber another round and take another shot quartering away. At 40 yards away from me, he starts to stumble and falls over.

At this point, I start thinking, man, I have seen 3 bear, 7 doe, and 3 buck. I check the time and it is 8:00am. In the woods for an hour and twenty minutes, and I've just shot the 10th deer I've seen today. WOW! What a morning. Ok now for all the pictures. (Sorry for the long read but I like details)

IMG_20141115_082042529_zpswj39909b.jpg

IMG_20141115_082058587_zpsnsn78syg.jpg

IMG_20141115_082149393_zpss327jnht.jpg

IMG_20141115_082207498_zpsph3foe6i.jpg

IMG_20141115_102505654_zpsnx9fhtau.jpg

IMG_20141115_102524423_zpskn6akjwr.jpg

This was just day 1. I have two videos to upload from day 2, which was just crazy. I'll post up again later.

Edited by Zemmer18
  • Like 3