Do Mock Scrapes REALLY work!!!?

Taylormike

Heres the pics from cam I recently set on a scrape...went to freshen scrap after the down pour we had yesterday...first buck I've seen in a bit...lots of doe...should have been in that stand this a.m.....That's OK PT went GREAT!...and they have me on a bike already and added 3 more new exercises...I got an A+...

• Like 1

If you wan't to start a fresh scrape and tie down a sapling as mentioned before.Do you put anything on the branch or branches to get them to start smelling. licking. In the past I have just made a scrape.?.

I've used preorbital gland lure, but I've had as much luck just making a really conspicuous overhanging branch as anything. I usually don't do anything else, just let the bucks open it up.

Sam's right, I like to find a flat spot...that's important, not too thick, not too open, and on the upwind (prevailing winds or thermals) side of my stand, if at all possible. A trail intersection is the best. You don't need to bend a sapling...just strap the zip-tied branches to the limbs of the closest sapling or tree. They will trash it with their antlers, so make sure it is rugged.

I just got back from checking my cameras, and Mr. 7 pt. showed up at one of my setups last night...the info on the bottom of the photo is correct.

I am going to be putting some miles on this afternoon, hunting for new scrapes to augment my setups. Things are gona really pop soon as this full moon begins to wane.

post-245-0-79941800-1412879394_thumb.jpg

There's clearly a lot of ways to get bucks to use mock scrapes, but the only common denominator is the availability of a licking branch (or wick rope as demonstrated by the Wensels). If you don't have that (scent or not) then you won't have a scrape. I think the drippers and scents are really just more gadgets and gizmos that are mostly benefitting the manufacturer.

I have made a lot of scrapes. Neve shot or even seen a buck use one, while I was on stand, but I have seen my mock scrapes torn up which lets me know bucks are there.!!! I just find a small, low hanging sapling, and scrape the crap out of the ground under it with a stick (wear rubber gloves and boots) Then I smack the hell out of the over hanging  "licking branch" with the stick until it is all bent and broken down. I half burry a leaf and  add 4 or 5 drops of buck piss on top of the leaf.. Thats it. It works about 40- 50% of the time. I might try to piss in on this year. I have always been too paranoid to try it…but it sounds like it just might work...

Wow, thanks for the overwhelming responses.  Very informative.  Seems too successful to not try it....  Excited.  So, I have two drippers and some active scrape urine.  Should I not use the drippers and urine?  I won't have time to really get in the woods to find overhanging branch.

I think that when you say "drippers"...it could mean any old scent...Not that you didn't do due diligence in getting the best you could...but somebody did the math on how many bottles are sold by some companies....and it is incredible how many gallons of deer pee they got...and it is diluted. So many varibles. I am not saying that all deer pee is bogus...just that it's a crap shoot. And you might ruin your best chance at a brag buck this season. Just sayin'. Forget all the gizmos as Sam says. But boot rubber. Get in the woods, out of the tree, find scrapes. Scout. Snip the branches and augment your setup. Have to do it quickly now...because their patterns will be established.

• Like 1

Wow, thanks for the overwhelming responses. Very informative. Seems too successful to not try it.... Excited. So, I have two drippers and some active scrape urine. Should I not use the drippers and urine? I won't have time to really get in the woods to find overhanging branch.

Don't go crazy. Sometimes all it takes is for you to rough up the ground below a low hanging licking branch near a run. But a little scrape mate and some pre-orbital is fine. Less is better and definitely leave it alone once they start using it. Keep it free from leaves if they're not and it may still become active later in the season.

Ive been playing with mock scrapes here and there for a few years, they work great. This year, I decided to try setting up a whole mock scrape line on the edge of one of our food plots. I went around the entire plot and cut any branch less than 6 feet off the ground, except for 5 that were in a path from one end of the plot to the other. All of them have been hit, and you can tell from the tracks that deer seem to be using one after the other. All of them were created by leaving the licking branch, scraping the ground with a rock rake and urinating in them. I have video of bucks and does using them. Its pretty neat. I have a stand set within bow range of two scrapes on one end of the scrape line, on the predominately downwind side. Im hoping to kill a deer or two off of that scrape line this year.

• Like 2