Preparing Equipment

airedale

This is the time of the year I start getting my hunting gear ready, my leather boots are treated, clothes are in a large metal wardrobe, they get a good dose of permethrin. The choice of what firearms I am going to use, hunting ammo loaded and tested on the bench sighted in for where I am hunting. Knives, Binoculars ropes compass etc. are checked off and put in a place where they are readily available to go.

Don't know what firearm I will use this year, the past eight or nine years I have killed Deer with different guns and calibers and am looking to use something new again this year.

Season will be on us before you know it.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3

I go through my day pack, which has all my essentials for deer hunting in it. I make sure i have a handful of candy bars, a bottle of water, all the basics. Make sure my favorite hats and gloves are there. I shoot throughout the year so I am confident that I can grab either of my standards and be all set. 

Last year my goal was to hunt only black powder (patch and ball, open sights). I got a four point with my percussion rifle, and oopsed when I took out my .308 on a real sloppy day at the end of the season...and finished out my tags. This year, my goal is to hunt strictly with my flintlocks. No excuse not to. The only exception will be for if I need to hunt a back ridge, where the deer are consistently well out of range necessitating the modern crap.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NFA-ADK said:

I use Long Island bow hunting as my prep for the ADK woods.

Squirrel hunting is my main scouting prep for just about everything else I hunt, sneaking round hunting Squirrels lets me see what is available in the areas I hunt as far as food, cover, trails, what game is available and where they hang.

Al