Looking Like Arnold Schwartzenegger

airedale

2 hours ago, grampy said:

Is yours one of the new silent ones? Or is it like the one I have that clicks?

I guess it is a silent one as it makes very little noise, it is easier especially when you sit down at the bench and fire a bunch of shots. For hunting I could get by without it using the rope cocker, pulling it up a few times is no problem. Cocking it by hand for many shots is a different story, it will wear you out.

Al

• Like 1

One of the things I like best, about my 300 fps Barnett Recruit, is that the draw weight is so light that I can easily pull it without any type of “mechanical advantage” device.  That makes getting off a second shot a definite possibility (not that it was ever needed).  I usually have two-four dmp tags, so someday an opportunity for a “double” is likely.  

The direct draw is a little tough on the finger tendons though, so I made some handles using a couple of hinge pins, carabiner hooks, and a few links of chain.  Only trouble is, I misplaced them this year, so I’m back with the rope pulley device that came with my “backup” crossbow (CP sniper 370).   

I lost the rope pulley that came with my Recruit, in the excitement after killing what might be my largest bodied ever buck with it, back in 2O16 (43” chest girth).   Those direct draw handles were a big improvement, over that factory rope pulley, because they cut the reload time in half or more.    

So another pain in the ass thing I have discovered is removing those crossbow bolts from the foam target blocks. I have one of those rubber grip thingys that work good for arrows fired out of my bows but it takes a lot more effort and time getting those buried bolts out. I got online and found this gripping tool that is highly rated with a thumbs up from serious shooters. Not cheap but will be well worth the price if it does what everyone says. I would rather spend more time shooting than pulling.

Al

2023-09-29_080411.png

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Nice. I just picked up a new crossbow and handed my old CenterPoint down to my son. I bought a Wicked Ridge Fury410 that has the crank cock/decock sled on it. Just got it sighted in yesterday. Love it so far. A lot nicer than the cocking rope on my old one. 

That's a real nice crossbow! Good luck this season!

• Like 1

Just now, grampy said:

That's a real nice crossbow! Good luck this season!

Thanks! I’m looking forward to punching a couple of holes with it. I’d actually rather watch my son add a notch or two to my old CP’s belt. It’s his first year hunting, and helping him be successful is what this season is all about for me. 

Good luck to you as well this season!

• Like 2

Tested out the arrow puller mentioned above, I have to say every now and then I get hold of a gadget that exceeds my expectations. This arrow puller is one of them and makes removing arrows and bolts out of the foam blocks quick and easy with no stress on the arrow, this makes practice a lot more fun.

Al

2023-10-02_130557.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, airedale said:

Tested out the arrow puller mentioned above, I have to say every now and then I get hold of a gadget that exceeds my expectations. This arrow puller is one of them and makes removing arrows and bolts out of the foam blocks quick and easy with no stress on the arrow, this makes practice a lot more fun.

Al

2023-10-02_130557.png

I may have to pick one up. Even in my block it can be tough to yank them out without damaging the vanes a bit.