I may be losing my spot

luberhill

4 hours ago, hunter said:

Lube, I think you're over committed to this property. First I think prices have come down since two years ago. More important you aren't considering all your sweat equity your giving away for free. I would think for 3K a year you could finance a smaller parcel that would suit your needs and you would own it. You might have to travel a bit to it but there's nothing like owning your own land. Good luck.

Yea I’m spoiled because this is so close …I have a few other smaller pcs I hunt but this is the only larger pc I have to myself .

1 hour ago, luberhill said:

Only two but I could have filled all 6 ..

Most likely not all on that one 60 acre piece.  Deer wise up real quick, after you start whittling down their numbers.   That’s the key to their survival.  Two deer a year seems reasonable.

Assuming an average yield of 50 lbs edible per deer, that works out to $ 30 per pound, just to cover the $ 3k in property taxes.  

That sounds very expensive.  You could probably buy Wagu fillet mignonette or Alaskan king crab cheaper than that.  I always shoot for $ 1.00 per pound on my venison, including most input costs.   

I don’t consider property taxes on input costs though, because I need elbow room anyhow.  I just consider stuff like hunting license, ammo, fertilizer, fuel, and herbicide for food plots (I usually get free seed).  I also don’t consider equipment costs, because I need that for property maintenance and gardening anyhow.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Most likely not all on that one 60 acre piece.  Deer wise up real quick, after you start whittling down their numbers.   That’s the key to their survival.  Two deer a year seems reasonable.

Assuming an average yield of 50 lbs edible per deer, that works out to $ 30 per pound, just to cover the $ 3k in property taxes.  

That sounds very expensive.  You could probably buy Wagu fillet mignonette or Alaskan king crab cheaper than that.  I always shoot for $ 1.00 per pound on my venison, including most input costs.   

I don’t consider property taxes on input costs though, because I need elbow room anyhow.  I just consider stuff like hunting license, ammo, fertilizer, fuel, and herbicide for food plots (I usually get free seed).  I also don’t consider equipment costs, because I need that for property maintenance and gardening anyhow.  

It’s about the hunt not the price of the meat .. let’s face it , factor in license , guns, clothes etc and it’s an expensive meat .

Like fishing .boat , Rods and reels , fuel, etc

I don’t look at it in dollars and cents 

Edited by luberhill
  • Like 2

I recently (6 months ago) put my property (inherited) 21.5 acres up for sale and although I and my son thoroughly enjoy it I wanted to sell it and take care of the Kids / Grand Kids while I can . It only costs $ 1000 (roughly) per year in taxes so it is pretty easy to keep . Unfortunately 90 % is wetland but produces great hunting !  I've been thinking if it doesn't sell to put it in trust for 25 years and after that turn over to the State (not back to the town) ! Been running around those woods for over 50 years !

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GreeneHunter said:

I recently (6 months ago) put my property (inherited) 21.5 acres up for sale and although I and my son thoroughly enjoy it I wanted to sell it and take care of the Kids / Grand Kids while I can . It only costs $ 1000 (roughly) per year in taxes so it is pretty easy to keep . Unfortunately 90 % is wetland but produces great hunting !  I've been thinking if it doesn't sell to put it in trust for 25 years and after that turn over to the State (not back to the town) ! Been running around those woods for over 50 years !

Send me a message with area and details 

I sympathize with you on the loss of your hunting spot. I would hate to  tally up all the hunting areas that I have lost over the decades. I have watched  hundreds of stands taken up by new homes and camps and ringed with posted signs. It can really mess up your hunting plans....big-time. It gets worse every year. Even state land spots can be messed up by having someone move into a prize spot that you have all scouted out. It's just part of the hunt, I guess.