Model 94 Ae 30-30 scope or no

luberhill

10 hours ago, luberhill said:

Anyone try the Truglo fiber optic sights ?

Im still up in the air about adding a scope . Kinda takes something away from the style of gun ..

And truth is I probably won’t use it much for hunting ,

My go to is my scoped .243 . scoped muzzleloader and scoped 1100 LT20

So the 94 will just be used on occasion 

On that note...leave er as be. They were originally designed for open sights, and the A/E doesnt change its fine in the hand handling. If anything, is the side of the reciever drilled and tapped for an aperture sight? Learn how to shoot properly with a quality aperture (peep) and you will think you are shooting a different gun. All of mine wear one. Lyman makes a good one. 

1 hour ago, Daveboone said:

On that note...leave er as be. They were originally designed for open sights, and the A/E doesnt change its fine in the hand handling. If anything, is the side of the reciever drilled and tapped for an aperture sight? Learn how to shoot properly with a quality aperture (peep) and you will think you are shooting a different gun. All of mine wear one. Lyman makes a good one. 

I’m betting u feel the same about me adding a recoil pad

1 hour ago, Daveboone said:

No the side isn’t drilled , the top is drilled for scope mounts

again it’s an AE

I have several firearms that still sport open sights, be it shotgun, handgun or rifle all have fiber optic fire type sights installed. They just give a better sight picture for my old eyes, that being said I still can sight better with  and prefer a scope especially when the light is faded during dusk or dawn. When I have to make a shot I want to have the best sight picture I possibly can have.

The Deer I took this year was a perfect example, walking through some pretty heavy cover at a distance of a little over 100 yds I would have not taken the shot with open sights as I could not be positive of making a clean hit. With a scope I was able to see small clear openings and when she hit one I touched her off and that was all she wrote.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, airedale said:

I have several firearms that still sport open sights, be it shotgun, handgun or rifle all have fiber optic fire type sights installed. They just give a better sight picture for my old eyes, that being said I still can sight better with  and prefer a scope especially when the light is faded during dusk or dawn. When I have to make a shot I want to have the best sight picture I possibly can have.

The Deer I took this year was a perfect example, walking through some pretty heavy cover at a distance of a little over 100 yds I would have not taken the shot with open sights as I could not be positive of making a clean hit. With a scope I was able to see small clear openings and when she hit one I touched her off and that was all she wrote.

Al

I do have to admit I prefer the looks of a lever gun with no scope

I usually use my .243 , 20 gage 1100 or Muzzloader , all of which have scopes 

But I’d kinda like to kill a deer with my Model 94

Just not sure it’s worth investing in a scope for the few times I’d use it.

I may try the Truglo sites first 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, luberhill said:

I do have to admit I prefer the looks of a lever gun with no scope

I usually use my .243 , 20 gage 1100 or Muzzloader , all of which have scopes 

But I’d kinda like to kill a deer with my Model 94

Just not sure it’s worth investing in a scope for the few times I’d use it.

I may try the Truglo sites first 

Man, do you OVER-think everything in this way??  LOL

4 hours ago, steve863 said:

Man, do you OVER-think everything in this way??  LOL

Usually .. especially when I’ve filled my tags and it’s snowing and cold outside.

Its called boredom ..

I just finished waxing the shower in the master bath , cleaned the tile floor, cleaned all windows ( 23) cleaned all my long guns ..

Now I’m checking comments :)

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, luberhill said:

Usually .. especially when I’ve filled my tags and it’s snowing and cold outside.

Its called boredom ..

I just finished waxing the shower in the master bath , cleaned the tile floor, cleaned all windows ( 23) cleaned all my long guns ..

Now I’m checking comments :)

Hopefully it didn't take you too long to decide whether to wax the shower with a soft bristle toothbrush or hard bristle.  LOL