Learned a lesson

fasteddie

When my oldest son , who I reload for , was ejecting a live round , the bullet came apart . First time that ever happened . I told him to to take the rest of the bullets and see if they would pull apart and they didn't . He had it happen a second time and it really bothered me that this could happen . I thought that maybe the OAL was a bit much and that the bullet itself was sticking in the chamber and coming apart when the live round is ejected . It had NEVER done this before . Then it dawned on me that the last reloads I had done were with New 270 brass that I didn't think needed to be resized and I had always resized all other brass prior to reloading . Does this make sense ? 

I always size new brass to be on the safe side, I many times can feel the difference between brands when running them through the sizing die. Still you may be right with the overall length being just a tad too long where the lands grab the bullet enough to pull it forward upon extraction, or it could be a combination of both. You should be able to remedy the situation through the process of elimination.

Al

i would think it would be a resizing issue ,if the bullet was hitting the lands you would feel it when closing the bolt or at least see marks in the bullet from the lands. thee only brass I've ever bought that didn't need resizing was Lapua

All brass needs initial full sizing...some folks fire form them after that...

I had a 45-70 bullet unseat in the barrel on a bear hunt (my reloads)!! That was unsettling. Luckily I was able to whittle a twig to bump it out with, but I used my back up rifle for the rest of the hunt. My opinion....never load for anyone but yourself....stuff happens.....

A very experienced shooter acquaintance almost lost his left hand when he had an explosion due to reloads....took out his bolt action! Blew the reciever open. I showed up at the range as he was being bundled up to go to the ED.