Shed Hunting?

backstrapbuster

I usually dont start till late January or early February. I like to do it on warm days when the snow is melting or on a sunny day after a fresh snowfall. I look for deer yarding areas, field edges and along deer trails. Take your binos with you, its alot more efficient than trying to cover all of the area on foot.

Not really Geno, they get eaten up by squirrels and other rodents pretty quickly. Thats why you have to get to them quick, while the snow is melting and right after that. They blend in pretty good too, so you might walk right by them if you arent paying attention. Shoot, Ive walked right by them while I was looking for them before.  :)

I don't think I ever stopped looking. :D  Kind of a year round thing for me anytime I'm in the woods there's always a chance of stumbling upon one you've missed the prior spring or a chewed up oldie. Generally start right after the late ML season and take it right into turkey season. My earliest find I can't remember the exact date but 2 yrs ago found a fresh antler on December 19'th. The bulk of the sheds I pick up come in February and March. Rainy overcast days are the best when the woods floor is darkened those antlers will really pop out at you. That doesn't stop me from hiking when we have several feet of snow piled up. This will give you a good idea of where the bucks get locked in on feeding and bedding areas, as well as the trails that connect them in between.

Finding winter food sources is at the top of my list. Winter bachelor groups will be in the area. It's up to you to put in the time and legwork to cover as much of the high percentage spots, and everywhere in between if you want to pick up any fresh drops.

Some folks don't like to get into these areas too early and push the bucks from their wintering grounds so it's really up to you when to start. If you have trail cams, they can help you scout bucks winter core areas and time the drop of freshies.

There's no wrong or right way to shed hunt that's what makes it fun. Everyone will have their own style and technique. The more promising propperty you have access to.....the better your odds.

Good luck this shed season. :) 

Not really Geno, they get eaten up by squirrels and other rodents pretty quickly. Thats why you have to get to them quick, while the snow is melting and right after that. They blend in pretty good too, so you might walk right by them if you arent paying attention. Shoot, Ive walked right by them while I was looking for them before.  :D

good point never thought of that...lol

I actually shot at a deer last opening day weekend was almost positive I missed looked for blood none. kicked myself for taking a stupid shot, looked for the deer for a while nothing, this opening day while switching stands i took a way I never go on my property but i didnt want to disturb a bedding area and right in a thick swamp edge 20 feet after i called off the search there was my deer from last year. full skull with antlers.  No rodents for a whole year?