bow or doe?

longislandhunter12

no i disagree plus there is no need to answer if you do not feel the need... dont see anything wrong with the question at all. Im a young hunter who has only hunted long island a couple times and that was in december which would be the late season. just trying to make sure the rules are the same for all times of the season since i will be going soon. 

I really wasn't directing that entirely at you, it just got me thinking about how many people don't know what, when or where their tags are good for.........if you're new at this then reading the regs. yourself, like you obviously just did, is the best way to answer those questions........good luck.

• Like 1

I really wasn't directing that entirely at you, it just got me thinking about how many people don't know what, when or where their tags are good for.........if you're new at this then reading the regs. yourself, like you obviously just did, is the best way to answer those questions........good luck.

Second time a question like this was asked. I have to agree. the DEC site has all the info. Faster and easier to look yourself, then to ask in here.

• Like 1

my post wasn't just directed at this gentleman, it was a general observation.........there seems to be a lot of people who obviously don't read and know basic regulations whether it be discharge distance, how many bucks they are allowed to take, what each tag is good for, and a slew of other questions that are clearly printed and easily, and more importantly, PROPERLY answered if they got the answers from reading the regulations. I apologize if I used this hunters question to point that out and offended him in any way.

Second time a question like this was asked. I have to agree. the DEC site has all the info. Faster and easier to look yourself, then to ask in here.

I am guessing with all the people on this forum you can get an answer here rather quickly, probably faster then searching the DEC site! 

Yeah well the dec book can be just as confusing. I can use my archery tag up to gun season . Not during regular season but during late season. I can still shoot a buck with a bow during gun but it goes on my regular tag. I can't fill my regular buck tag during archery season ~ unless I hunt my own house(8c) wich is archery only,then I can use both buck tags when ever I want. And if I choose I can use my archery tag in bow only (8c) during gun season. Now I've read this stuff about ten times and it wouldn't surprise me if I've misunderstood something. Yeah sure the information is in the book but stuff doesn't always jump out at you

I think it would be helpful if the DEC made an interactive site where a hunter can enter their WMU, species hunting and dates they are hunting. The DEC site would display very clearly the tags the hunter needed for each sex of animal killed and type of weapon used. Maybe display a hypothetical list ( if bow kill, then you need to do XYZ, etc. The main point is a WMU specific tool to keep it simple and eliminate any confusion with the regs for dummy's like me.

P.S. There is nothing wrong in my book with asking a question for clarification. For me, sometimes it's good to make sure my interpretation of the regs is the same as someone else's. I think this Forum is the perfect place to ask.

Posted Yesterday, 08:52 PM

my post wasn't just directed at this gentleman, it was a general observation.....

And mine wasn't directed at you specifically...and I do agree about reading regs. but that said................ an answer if one had one and then a prompting may have been better...Everyone claims this to be a friendly informative helpful site for NY and other hunters..Sooooo... one should not be appalled that questions are asked ...

ps...... What happened to " there are no stupid questions"?

• Like 1

its just truly amazing the posts I read at times submitted by people on this site. The young hunter who started this particular posting asked a simple question regarding hunting a piece or property overseen by the DEC with certain rules and regulations depending on what time of year he is hunting it and he gets a reply like  this is a ridiculous question !  this reply from a hunter from long island with a screen name  sportsman no less.   some sport you are  and way to go to help a young hunter learn his way around. 

The only problem with getting your answer here for a legal question is that the only way you'll know for sure that what they're telling you is correct is if someone copies & pastes the actual rule or law from the DEC site itself which you could go and get yourself... if you just take the word of someone on a forum you could be getting misinformation.. and lots of times the answers are all over the place...  DEC regs you ought best get from the source.

I'm sorry if my reply came off a little snobby LongIslandHunter12. After I posted it I wondered if it was a youngster i was resonding to.  sorry about that kid. I'm glad you were able to check the regs and figure it out.  As nyantler pointed out, thats your best source. Good luck out there.