coyote

The term is called "reciprocating species" or "remunerating species." Basically, they can compensate. 

Coyotes will fill a void with litters, and adjust accordingly in the opposite direction when the environment calls for it.

I've spoken with the researchers at Cornell, specifically the professor, and the graduate student who were running the study a few years back (I'm sure she is long gone by now, or onto her own practices). The two hot spots were really the southern Monroe and northern Livingston counties (Rush area), and one of the southern tier cities...either Bingamton or Elmira...I think it was Bingamton. These hot spots showed that the coyote populations were expanding at more then 2x the state rate of average expansion. Related to sprawl, but showed how coyotes could in 2-3 generations, significantly increase their numbers in a given area when the area supports it. Average litter size went up significantly in two generations.

Does anyone know of any fur buyers in Broome or Southern Chenango County. I have been coyote hunting for about 5 yrs and have got some. I would give them the coyote for free unless it was a ways to commute. Them maybe a few bucks for gas. I don't like to let something lay just wasn't brought up that way.

• 2 weeks later...

As long as we're doing math.. tell me how a population of 20,000 - 30,000 coyotes can have any affect on a deer population of over 1,000,000... although I'm sure there are exceptions because of different coyote/deer ratios in different locations but over all... I think people make way to much out of the whole coyote - deer thing. I do think they can altering a deer's normal traveling habits if the deer feel more threatened and there is some fawn kill but there are not enough coyotes statewide to cause the kind of damage guys tal about

The math is simple if the coyotes kill one fawn for each 2 Coyotes that is 15,000 dead deer if they take only males(acording to your number count of the coyote) however, if they take all females the number increase exponentially do to the loss of future fawns and, females can bare 2 fawns a year that adds up quickly. Then add to that other natural losses weather, road kills,hunting seasons.The losses to coyote could be devistating to the deer herd. Since there are no "real" natural enemies to the Coyote here in NY that has the capacity to lower the population it is up to the human element to bring them under control if possible.

If you are hunting them to irradicate the species,dont bother.

Hunting coyotes makes more coyotes...it's a fact.

Yes, I have heard that statement before, even though it absolutely defies logic. I have never seen the study that supposedly proves that theory, and I believe that where I first saw that stated was in a newspaper letter to the editor written by a clearly anti-hunting person who was appalled at the local coyote hunting contest.... ::) . However, I keep an open mind on the subject and if someone can show me a credible study that actually proves that "hunting coyotes makes more coyotes", I am willing to listen.

Doc

I get a kick out of this too Doc. Its like the people who say hunting Deer is what causes them to be overpopulated, because next yr the herd compensates for the lost #'s. If this was true most of the areas I hunt would be over populated to the gills with the hurting we put on them. The problem with yotes is they are travelers. Its nothing for them to do 20 miles in a day or so. So if you kill all your local yotes off, the next litter from miles away will just fill in the unused realestate giving the impression that the local population has bounced back when really your just killing the offspring from the next moutain or two over.

From what I have read if you want to put the pressure on them and take it off the fawns hunt them more in the spring. Would like to get out and do some yote killing but would like to give it a rest for a while, I just spent the last 3 months hunting just about everyday for deer. I think the old lady would have a fit if I started up coyote hunting right away.

It may be true to an extent that you can't totally CONTROL coyote #'s, but hunting pressure HAS to INFLUENCE local populations-I think. 

If they are free to wander around and eat your garbage with no fear of being chased and killed, then they probably breed like rabbits, and den in back yards.  If they are run with dogs and and shot at and totally nocturnal, they don't have as easy a life in that area.  Now even if they just 'relocate' due to pressure, then the carrying capacity has just been reduced. 

I'm also a firm believer that pressure on them is a real good thing and keeps the fear of man in them.  If a big old coyote has survived a couple grazings w/slugs in deer season or escaped hunters dogs, it will probably be less likely to try to eat my kids.

As long as we're doing math.. tell me how a population of 20,000 - 30,000 coyotes can have any affect on a deer population of over 1,000,000... although I'm sure there are exceptions because of different coyote/deer ratios in different locations but over all... I think people make way to much out of the whole coyote - deer thing. I do think they can altering a deer's normal traveling habits if the deer feel more threatened and there is some fawn kill but there are not enough coyotes statewide to cause the kind of damage guys tal about

The math is simple if the coyotes kill one fawn for each 2 Coyotes that is 15,000 dead deer if they take only males(acording to your number count of the coyote) however, if they take all females the number increase exponentially do to the loss of future fawns and, females can bare 2 fawns a year that adds up quickly. Then add to that other natural losses weather, road kills,hunting seasons.The losses to coyote could be devistating to the deer herd. Since there are no "real" natural enemies to the Coyote here in NY that has the capacity to lower the population it is up to the human element to bring them under control if possible.

Bad math.. you are forgetting that after your 15,000 fawns are killed and other natural losses plus hunting kills.... there are still over 800,000 deer left, most of which are replaced the following year by new fawns... 15,000 fawns is a drop in the bucket of what will be born in a year... there still is no way that 20-30,000 coyotes can be having an impact on 1 million whitetails.

• 5 weeks later...

We cant  find decent place much to run our hounds on the yotes down here, so have been trying to call em in, and night hunts.    The dogs have been hard to brake from deer running and just havent much luck .  And with the cost of chow, I am thinking of trading a few good runners that need a little more training.