Brush Hair Before Skinning?

raredesign

It would look pretty weird if someone sees you brushing a hanging deer.  Sort of like a mortician fixing up a dead human for funeral viewing.  LOL

Ha! Well, it came to mind from skinning many furred animals, and brushing is rather standard to get the coat clean of burdock and knots. I will be sure to post results should I get something this year.

I believe most of the hair comes from being cut while making incisions, not loose hair. I have found that the hair can really be minimized if the incisions are made from under the skin with the sharp edge of the blade pointing out. This leaves the hair and follicle in tact and attached. What small amount of hair does and up on the meat, we hit quickly with a propane torch and POOF it is gone.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

I believe most of the hair comes from being cut while making incisions, not loose hair. I have found that the hair can really be minimized if the incisions are made from under the skin with the sharp edge of the blade pointing out. This leaves the hair and follicle in tact and attached. What small amount of hair does and up on the meat, we hit quickly with a propane torch and POOF it is gone.

Great tip about the cut technique. Thanks. Regarding the torch, does it leave any char, or just dust the hairs away? I'll have to try that.

Great tip about the cut technique. Thanks. Regarding the torch, does it leave any char, or just dust the hairs away? I'll have to try that.

a screw on fan tip works best . does nothing to the meat at all and all you might see is a tightening of the slimy membrane that covers the meat.  Actually makes it easier to handle to trim the membrane off.

any tip will work and the fan tip can be hard to find