Can u Own a Crossbow in nyc

Vince1

Good question, I had to really browse around and see if anyone else has mentioned anything and the only thing I could find is requesting NYC's codes on weapons from the local police or really browsing this site which has every NYC administrating code lol 

Good luck and let me know how you make out!

http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/LAWSSEAF.cgi?QUERYTYPE=LAWS+&QUERYDATA=@SLADC0T10C3+&LIST=LAW+&BROWSER=BROWSER+&TOKEN=33827989+&TARGET=VIEW

(edited to the link pertaining to weapons) 

Edited by UpstateNomad90

Its something you want to look into really good before getting a crazy weapon charge for a crossbow. And no i'm not being sarcastic one bit.

I was arrested in Time Spuare. And yea I said arrested. And it was for walking with a pocket knife lol. It was a tiny 2 1/2 inch folding knife that was clipped to the inside of my pocket. Cops ran up on me pulled a taser and I thought it was done lol. I was so confused at the time cause I had done nothing wrong. But yea long story short I had to fight that in court ( And win ) tooth and nail.

Be careful them downstaters coffee is loaded with anti freedom n anti weapons ways.

From working Law Enforcement in NY the five boroughs strictly prohibit pistols because of the ability to conceal, everything else is legal. The only thing we run for serial numbers are pistols and of course illegal size/ automatic fire long guns.

Do you work LE in the State, or NYC?  What you are saying about NYC law is not correct.  

All long arms in the city are registered and you need a special permit for them.  If you don't have a Rifle and Shotgun permit, and your guns aren't registered with the police, they are illegal.  Also, air rifles and even wrist support sling shots are illegal.  How is "everything else" except pistols and automatic weapons legal?

No kidding guns need to be registered in ny...

NY Penal laws Part 3, Title P, Article 265.

I think its cute that you took 11 minutes of your life to hunt down and post the actual part of the law, like you knew it off the top of your head, dude.

Your post says "everything else is legal".  Someone who doesn't know better, dude, might think they can bring a long arm into the city and not have a problem, dude. Or an air rifle, dude.  Or a sling shot, dude.

For you to say you're a LEO and then say everything except pistols and automatic weapons are fine is bad advice, dude.

Like I siad, if your responsible and keep it under wraps you should be fine. I've had a paint ball "marker" in my back seat and been pulled over. It was cased and I was honest about it. I've walked into city hall and 1PP with my multi tool "surrendered at the check point of course ".

My point is keep a thoughtful head about you. Don't go to Central Park and target practice on the main lawn. Don't carry your Xbow over your shoulder while walking around in the financial district.

I think I would go ahead and print out and laminate the safty certificate and carry it with my bow. There are lots of archery shooters in the city and five boroughs.

• 3 weeks later...

Bottom line is act like an adult and represent the crossbow hunting community the right way. Our goal is to get crossbows included fully during archery season. So don't go shooting or carrying like a dumbass in the city...some common sense goes a long way.

Just my two cents...and yes I live in NYC too.

I'm not 100% positive on crossbows but I think it might be illegal. But like CVABob said, more often then not, cops will let it slide. It's sort of like J-walking. If they want to be a jerk they can bust you for it if they want.

Too answer the OP, Vince1. DEC has nothing to do with One Police Plaza so that's why you're getting two different answers. They have two separate set of rules and you have to follow both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYC has it's own laws regarding any type of firearm and knives. Years ago, if you were traveling from LI to upstate to hunt, you would need to notify the local precinct if you were caring a licensed handgun. And you were not supposed to stop while in the confines of the city. As far as knives go, most wouldn't know a lock blade buck knife from a "gravity" or switchblade and would stop you for that. Any long guns or shotguns also needed to be registered and the owner needed a license for them, which could be revoked by the pistol license section for minor offenses. And in the case of death or the owner not renewing permits, would be vouchered , and in most cases destroyed. I'm not sure if a crossbow would fall under an Administrative code Law?

Everyone i spoke to at one police plaza said either flat out no or didnt know. When i asked about the gov making them legal hunting they said they didnt know about that and told me to speak to the legal department.

Legal told me they couldnt answer my question unless i was a cop.

Called dec and they said cops down here dont know crap. Tokd me i was good but keep the law and my certificate with me.

I keep a copy of the certificate and a blurb about the gov and the law in my case for if i get pulled over.

Kinda feel like im being screwed but im lookin for land upstate and will just keep all my toys up there.