Land Lease

Karpteach

I'm sitting at home feeling sorry for myself, since my dream of hunting on private land has crashed. Was thinking maybe a few of us get together and lease some LI land. Create some rules and boundaries and hunt next year on our own land. Just putting it out there.

Well, I'd think the early spring would be a good time to knock on some doors to see what is available.. Before the growning season hustle & bustle..

The farms & nurseries are prime pieces, and the vineyards too, but from people I've spoken with, usually the 'help' and families hunt these..

BUT, In this economy,  'Friends of Ben Franklin' may have more influence! ;)

Karpteach Its a great idea but unfortunately there are hunters on every square inch of private land especially the farms out east. If you just look in the woods there are tree stands everywhere on every farm. I would say every farm has hunters on them. The ones that open their arms to you open there arms to everyone that asks. The problem is youll find out your not the only one hunting it come opening morning. Then theres the nuisance permits.Good luck in your venture and heck if you find the right peice I'll fork over some cash with you.

• 2 months later...

It sucks, all I want is a couple of does.  Antler crazy guys get permission for a good size property and glom it to themselves, happens with unposted and stateland too.  Im glad I have my certain stateland spot, not a lot of deer but I never get bothered.  I used to hunt a spot in Eastport when I was in Highschool until the owners son found out the size of the deer on the property and  fenced it in and kicked me and my cousins out after we had hunted there for 15 or more years and showed him everything about bowhunting.  He shot a monster 14 point his first year hunting there, I still say he baited it but well never know...............Sorry just venting.

Well i can only say knocking on the doors looking for a place to hunt other than big game is a lot easier..i got access to a large piece in the town of delhi about 10 years ago to hunt turkey in fall (season opens there oct 1 vs end of oct in wny)the owner was surprised we didn't want to hunt deer we told him no just fall turkey, after 5 years the owner offered us permission to hunt deer and turkey in the spring as well, he even introduced us to his son who was taking over the farm, the owner passed and the son still allows us to hunt. You have to consider the amout of people who want to hunt deer vs small game. its all about getting  your foot in the door and building trust, deer may have to take a back seat for a bit as you build that landower/hunter relationship into a landowner/friend relationship.  free hunting  with time invested is better than $ and worring about if someone else will come in and pay more...just my opinion..

Hey Karp, are you locked into t Long Island? Upstate there are many opportunities at decent prices for large tracts. Some even have year round hunting for feral pigs! I understand wanting to be quick and close, but it may be worth checking out.

JJ, you got something in mind?

I do sympathize.  I am so darned lucky where a family friend gives me and my uncle use of his summer house and 180 acres of land for hunting anything we want to hunt.  We do pay him something, but it's honestly not a heck of a lot for what we get.  It's not prime deer habitat, but we have shot a couple of deer or more per season on it for almost 20 years now.  The owners health is not too great and if he departs this world one of these years, I will be in the same boat as you.  Not an easy undertaking to find private hunting land, that's for sure.

Karp- I do. I am trying to gather some fellers together to lease a piece upstate. The prices are very reasonable and I'm going to tell the missus that we can camp and hike there in the summer ;)

Why bother? we can just find a spot that isn't posted, walk right on, and hunt.....

[sorry Joe, I'm messing with you...I just couldn't pass up the oportunity..Hope you have a sense of humor!]

Fin,

Touche. I do have a sense of humor and I also appreciate that you never reverted to name calling no matter how heated our "disagreement" got. It shows you have class! It's easy to talk crap anonymously.

Karl,

I mostly like to waterfowl hunt with some small game upland mixed in. I wknd trying to put some guys together for a spot upstate. It all depends on how many we can get. I have seen from 50 acres for 1200 to 1500 acres for 8500.

If you are serious, let me know how many you can get involved and what you feel comfortable with.

I wknd in the 500 to 1000 range per man.

Even for a full week or two plus some weekends sprinkled in, I see value in that set up. Plus camping, hiking maybe some fishing too how could you go wrong.