Blood trail going thin

Nivk

Good luck man! Start scanning the sky's for any vultures or crow concentrations that may indicate a dead animal. 

Right! Good idea. I do have my other tag to fill so I'll go out tomorrow afternoon and see what I see. 

I'd go back to that last bed site and do a box-pattern search. By your description of that bed I think there's a dead deer within a hundred yards or so. They can and will cover a lot of ground running on empty, but once they lay down they'll stop running. That's why you wait before trailing.

• Like 1

I agree with Philoshop I would give it one more look

a lot of us have been in that position & it is good you feel the way you do it sucks to lose an animal & it should feel that way & that you learn from your mistakes. IMO if you dont feel bad after something like this & learn something from it you shouldn't be hunting. Again I would give it one last look even though it has rained & chances may seem slim

Good Luck

• Like 2

Maybe you got a brisket shot. They bleed for ever and will run and run.

That is what I am thinking at this point. I have been back to the last bed site and searched all over but turned up nothing. No crows or vultures around either. The route I had tracked had begun to loop back around by the time I found the last bed. I backtracked the whole route to see if he layed down on the way back up or somthing, but didn't find him there either. I had followed blood for about 3/4 a mile so I had flagging all over the place that I had to take down anyway. I'll be out in that area again so I'll keep looking, but based on the way the blood trail was thinning out I think the bleeding was stopping. Maybe he'll heal up? I hope so anyway.

That is what I am thinking at this point. I have been back to the last bed site and searched all over but turned up nothing. No crows or vultures around either. The route I had tracked had begun to loop back around by the time I found the last bed. I backtracked the whole route to see if he layed down on the way back up or somthing, but didn't find him there either. I had followed blood for about 3/4 a mile so I had flagging all over the place that I had to take down anyway. I'll be out in that area again so I'll keep looking, but based on the way the blood trail was thinning out I think the bleeding was stopping. Maybe he'll heal up? I hope so anyway.

It is possible even after a lot of blood loss that it could heal up. Depending on how much blood your talking about more times then none the do die its just so far from were it was hit. It looping around sounds just like what a doe did after I shot her she was bleeding for a while and went almost a half of mile before it died.

The loss of blood could mean it started to clot up.Or if there was massive blood it could have been running out of blood and then would most likey be semi close by to last known blood location.

What kind of broadhead were you shooting ?