Blood trail going thin

Nivk

I just shot my first whitetail archery hunting at 7:45 am. I was about 15m away and think I had a good hit to the right lung. The deer ran downhill and I waited 30min before checking out the hit site. My arrow had remained in the deer so there wasn't much to see there. About 100ft away I found the blood trail. It was more like a highway though. I thought it would be no problem to track this guy. Now it is 3 hrs later and I'm following drops every several feet. I'm starting to worry that I should have waited longer to start tracking. Anyone out there with thoughts on what to do?

How far from where you shot the deer did you eventually lose site of him? How far have you now tracked him from the hit site or first sign of blood? Did you here the deer crash at all or did it just go quiet? What color was the blood, is it frothy or any small bubbles, is there a spray pattern, is it bleeding on one side or both sides of the deer? Has the deer beded down at all yet while tracking him? Did you recover your arrow?

We need more info to assess the facts of your situation. With that being said, if I don't see the deer fall or here him crash. I am waiting a good 3-4 hrs or if you know you gut shot the deer up to 12-14 hrs till I track and recover.

• Like 1

686bf3b8380948eead45653c8516a738.jpg

I'm still on it. The trampolines and goes, but I just found this. Its starting to dry but still bright and has some bubbles. I've gone about 1000 ft from the shot site probably more since it hasn't been a direct route.

• Like 1

Better hope it hit an artery coming off the top of the heart. really bright and looks like artery blood to me but they can cover A LOT of ground in minutes if you don't take the blood supply away fast or take their wind away. If the angle was steep it could have hit the back side of the breast bone and explain why it didn't come out. I would bet it is fatal but I would give it time. Better too much time than not enough unless weather is going to wash the blood away.

• Like 1

Oh no. Really? I thought that should hit the lung from that angle.

I'm gonna guess you hit shoulder......keep in mind that anything cut with a razor is gonna bleed like crazy in the beginning and probably eventually clot up if it's not fatal. If you ever gave yourself a good cut with a knife, think about how much it bled, if you just let it bleed and walked 500 yards, it would leave a good trail or if you stood in one spot it would leave a pretty good puddle.......we have 6 pints of blood, if you took one pint and dumped it out it would look like a crime scene, but it wouldn't kill you to lose that much....... But, I hope I'm wrong.

Edited by jjb4900

He was facing me and I hit him in the chest at the base of the neck. It looked like the arrow had penetrated at least a foot in.

Not to really get on you, but why would you take a dead on front shot with a bow? Lot of things can happen to that arrow from the front and it is a long way to the vitals if you can even get there.

Did you knot have a chance to let the deer turn left or right or walk past you so it would quarter away?

I really hope you find this deer, but I also hope you don't take shots like that in the future. You can get away with it with a gun, but not without a little luck with an arrow.

Based on the pic gfdeputy2 posted and what I know of deer anatomy I'm confident I hit a lung. I had a limited window to shoot through and he was following a doe right out of it. I guess I should have waited though. This sucks. I really didn't think he'd get so far with a close range shot like that.

Edited by Nivk

Based on the pic gfdeputy2 posted and what I know of deer anatomy I'm confident I hit a lung. I had a limited window to shoot through and he was following a doe right out of it. I guess I should have waited though. This sucks. I really didn't think he'd get so far with a close range shout like that.

you would need to add the bone structure to that illustration to get an idea of how that shot angle could go bad.

Heres what I do not under stand...if there was no exit wound and It was say straight on...so entrance was assumably relatively high an most likely a high lung ...if a ground level shot.....Why such a blood trail at all? Wouldn't it be mostly internal?

That is why I think he must have hit an artery or Vein. Looks like a lot of blood quickly for a high hit with no exit. I think this deer is dead personally.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 2