roof rack or hitch mounted carrier????

loworange88

Hey everyone.  Currently I drive a small hatchback car due to my long commute to work and home, so an SUV or pick up truck are not ideal. I have been mulling the idea of adding a roof rack and basket to my car.  I was doing some online browsing and came across a trailer hitch that is the kind that tucks up behind the rear bumper and only the actual receiver is exposed, which made me think of the Aluminum hitch mounted carriers.

So upon further internet snooping, I found that it would cost about the same to go either route, so cost is negligible at this point...both options are around the $200 mark end of the day.  I honestly have no preference which one, I have used both in the past, both have their respective pro's and con's.  The only thing the roof rack would be nice for in the future is hauling long items like a ladder or a few 2 x 4's....however the hitch would allow me to tow a small trailer(wagon) with the addition of a lighting harness for brake lights.

My main interest in this would mainly be for hauling deer.  Just wondering what would be the more practical approach.  The car is new, and I plan on keeping it for 5 or 6 years...longer if it treats me well.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I just brought one home on the roof of my Subaru last week.  It wasn't bad getting him up there with three of us but I wouldn't have wanted to do it alone.

If I had to I would've thrown a rope up over a branch, pulled him up and backed the car up under him.

Edited by covert
  • Like 1

If I had to I would've thrown a rope up over a branch, pulled him up and backed the car up under him.

Way easier said than done............certainly not impossible but alone that could be a heck of a capper to pull off.

Edited by Lawdwaz

Way easier said than done............certainly not impossible but alone that could be a heck of a capper to pull off.

It is a pain.  The way I have done it (with an ATV) the hardest part was getting the rope up.  Tie to the deer, tie a loop near the other end.  Tie loose end to vehicle, drive ahead to pull deer up.  Tie rope from loop to tree so deer stays suspended, untie vehicle and back under deer.  Lower deer onto roof, tie down, go sip whiskey. :D

Edited by covert