Central NY WMU's?????

loworange88

Hello everyone.  I have been toying with the idea of trying my hand at some of the CNY WMU's.  I live in Cicero and I have been through Cicero Swamp, and I am not really interested in that area.  Too thick and I almost got lost once, so just not interested in that.

I usually hunt public land a bit south of Syracuse, and I would like to broaden my options for next season.

Does anyone here hunt Three Rivers or Hamlin Marsh?  I've not been to either location, ideally spring of 2015 will be my first time in either location, for purposes of scouting.  I have a few other spots on my radar, but I am interested in both of these to start, as they are the closest to my house (SANS Cicero Swamp).

Thanks.

Hello everyone.  I have been toying with the idea of trying my hand at some of the CNY WMU's.  I live in Cicero and I have been through Cicero Swamp, and I am not really interested in that area.  Too thick and I almost got lost once, so just not interested in that.

I usually hunt public land a bit south of Syracuse, and I would like to broaden my options for next season.

Does anyone here hunt Three Rivers or Hamlin Marsh?  I've not been to either location, ideally spring of 2015 will be my first time in either location, for purposes of scouting.  I have a few other spots on my radar, but I am interested in both of these to start, as they are the closest to my house (SANS Cicero Swamp).

Thanks.

I am a bit farther north but lots of hunting up here an hour or less from ya.   On another note....You say Cicero Swamp?  Well how are the feral pigs doing down there? A few people think the pigs will over take our state and you have had them around you for years. Do you see many on cam pic's or hunting? Ever taken a crack at one or had chances?

I have yet to here about a population of pigs in Cicero swamp.

Three rivers has quite a bit of nice property but gets the crap hunted out of it come gun season.Go to the NY state lands mapper and take a look around on there.Problem with 7A,7F and 8F is the amount of people and the lack of state land.Everyone flocks to the state property come gun and its like a free for all.

I have yet to here about a population of pigs in Cicero swamp.

Three rivers has quite a bit of nice property but gets the crap hunted out of it come gun season.Go to the NY state lands mapper and take a look around on there.Problem with 7A,7F and 8F is the amount of people and the lack of state land.Everyone flocks to the state property come gun and its like a free for all.

I've only lived in the area for 7 years, and have not seen, nor heard of any hogs in my area.  I know what you mean about everyone flocking to the state lands, its frustrating when you look at the maps, and there are tons of county lands that dont allow hunting at all.

I've found some spots, that I have marked down as probable.  Now I just need to get out and scout.

I live right down the road from 3 rivers and have not been over there once this year. It gets hunted hard. Don't get me wrong there are deer there and I have seen a couple dandy ones but do not plan on having an uninterrupted hunt. You can get lucky there but you will need to hunt harder/smarter than the rest as well as lucky.

Cicero swamp never did it for me either. I lived in Cicero for a decade and spent some time in there.

I have started looking into Howland Island to the west and Montezuma. Still learning. Howland gets hunted hard and Montezuma is tough to learn so far. I also go south to Tully with some luck.

Truthfully I do not have an answer for you. Public land in CNY gets hunted hard. I will be listening as well if anyone has suggestions. I keep losing spots!

Why don't you give Highland Forrest a try???

I also live very close by Cicero swamp and have never heard of pigs, except in the bars around there ,, but I don't drink so would know first hand ...

There is a rattle snake that is its own species that lives in the swamp and that's for real...

http://www.brocku.ca/massasauga/bibliography/Johnson%20and%20Breisch.pdf

Edited by Bowshotmuzzleloader

• 8 months later...

I moved to central NY in December 2013 and honed in on Cicero Swamp from the get-go.  I have seen a lot of wildlife on the property (fisher, turkey, squirrel, mink, deer, coyote).  I initially hunted near parking lots and easily accessible areas, but not surprisingly, so did everyone else!  I would consistently have other hunters walk under my tree stand.  On at least two occasions there were people who were target shooting on the property (in the middle of bow season!).  I soon realized I needed to push out deeper into the woods.  I scouted on google earth and found a spot that required wearing waders to access.  The spot is fantastic!  Lots of wildlife and I've got it all to myself.  It's not that far from the road either.  The water barrier seems to be enough to keep most hunters away.  I haven't found a single flag (other than my own), whereas in the other spot there were lots of flags of nearly every color.  Moral of the story, if you're looking for a nice spot to hunt at Cicero Swamp, I would recommend buying waders and exploring some areas with standing water.  It is definitely a workout (especially carrying in a tree stand), but it is pretty awesome to have what feels like a private spot.  

• 1 year later...

I've lived right behind the swamp my whole life ... I will agree that it is very thick and sometimes over populated but if you put the time and effort to find the right spots you will be surprised how many deer are actually are in the swamp . All the bucks I have shot out of there have been wall mounters. The deer go to the middle of the swamp during the day then at night time they come to fields to eat . Walking in far in morning then sitting till 12 is what I've had the best luck with . Sitting near friends from 2 to dark is also another prime time for the deer to come out of woods . Never had really had to much look near island road always right behind my house on. Bull road .