Question about group blinds

MikeOC

Hey guys, new hunter with a question about ground blinds. I bought a pop up ground blind before turkey season and had great success. I decided to use it for deer. Experienced hunters told me to leave it in the woods as deer will notice it as something new and get used to it being there. I hunt several private land areas with several friends so I take the blind as its a backpack into the woods and pop it up for the hunt then take it with me.

During scouting several mature deer came within ten yards of the blind not caring at all. During the season I had several very young deer basically walk within 20yrds without noticing it at all. Mature deer came within 100yrds but nothing close enough for me to shoot with my shotgun during the season. Seems like mixed results to me. Is it true that blinds need to be left in the woods or can you setup just for a few hours while your in the woods and take out with you?

Used a pop up during spring turkey with my 11 year old daughter 3x. We popped it up each morning, all 3x we had deer pretty close. Not sure about when the deer get spooky after being bounced around the woods this time of year. I think every deer may react to a "fresh" popped up blind differently. 

And if you know your gun and how it shoots a 100 yards is ok with the shotgun. I wouldn't shoot most set ups beyond that however. 

although setting it up and leaving it is probably best, I think you can get away setting it up before a hunt. I've seen deer eating the buds off big trees that just fell down, the recently fallen tree made a noticeable change in the landscape, but didn't make them nervous, I can't see them being able to determine a difference between the two...but I don't use blinds so really can't say for sure how deer react to them.......they probably carry a lot of human odor, so that would be my biggest concern.

I put my blind out in September and leave it till the last day I hunt. Always felt it bothered the more mature deer so this way they get use to it. And it's always there if I don't feel like sitting in stand if it's raining or windy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I said this in another thread. I even said I wanted to test the theory of setting up a blind for a day hunt.

It will always be better to set up a blind in advance. But, you should be OK on a day to day basis.

I did a test a few couple ago concerning this one. I don't have a blind at this time.

After a morning sit in, I went to my truck, got a 5x5 brown tarp, and some camo burlap my g/f's dad gave me. I used a few saplings and some rope and made an a frame blind. Just too see if putting up a blind the same day would work.

I did set up with some nice backdrop though. Small spruce and a small thicket at my back.

The does that were coming in at evening still came in. They didn't care that they were 15 yds from me. Never saw me. All I have is a basic Bow/Reg Hunting tag. So, no does for me on that day.

But, I learned something. If I can set up a jimmy rigged blind on my lunch, then setting a real store bought ground blind will work for same day hunt.

You just have to make sure you have a solid backdrop behind you. Not just set up in the open.

That's my penny worth of comment.

Let the bashing begin!

Edited by JustRob

Are you brushing it in? I have that this makes a huge difference.

Do you mean brushing the leafs away from the ground before setting it up? I usually just pop it up and go inside with my camping chair. The leaves make noise if you move around but not much.

Thank you guys for your replies. Went out for last day of gun season today and no deer. These guys came within ten feet.

6597901901d1d5d0c0cc7adad02e4f30.jpg

"Brushing In" means using branches and so on to put on the blind to help it blend in.

Thanks, I do usually set up either next to downed brush, or sort of "blend" it in with some branches. Wish I stayed out later this evening it seems like sun down is primetime. Saw several good size deer this year but never had them in range. The shotgun is frustrating; I don't feel comfortable with a shot over 50-60 yards. The gun is dead on at the range on sand bags, just feels different in the field. Rifle purchase is in order for next season. I would have easily tagged out with a rifle this season.