Hunting lessons I've learned

CNYScott

I'm 42, a shooter since 7 but didn't start hunting until I was 30 when my Friends of NRA buddies convinced me I needed to.  I've been making up for lost time every since.  Here are a few of things I've learned along the way.  Would love to hear other's experiences.

1)  Time in the field matters.  You have to put the hours in to be successful.

2)  Scouting matters.  I scout, shed hunt, use trail cams and spend time on my property year-round watching deer habits - but haven't always done that.  Since I have I've been far more successful in the quantity and quality of deer taken, and appreciate the experience more.

3)  Leave a legacy.  My kids are 12, 8 and 8.  I bet at least two of them will hunt, and all three love going to the property, climbing a stand, scouting for deer (twin boys can be a bit noisy though), helping dad with his gear, and eating venison.  Take a kid to the field, leave a legacy.

4)  Good equipment is an investment.  The difference financially between decent equipment and great equipment is not a lot, but the difference when it's 35, freezing rain and 30 mph wind is huge.  Make the investment.

5)  I'm not convinced scents work.  Maybe I'm not doing it right, but when I use scents and scent covers it seems to be the days when I see the least deer.  Wind direction relative to your hunting spot seems to matter much more in my experience.

6)  Good hunting mentors and partners are essential.  Starting at 30 afforded me an opportunity to hunt with peers who were very experienced and willing to help me learn.  Along the way we've had a lot of fun, some adventure and more than a few laughs.  The harvest is a highpoint, but taken as a whole the friendships are the best part of hunting.

7)  Advocacy is important.  We have as many enemies as friends, perhaps more so in a state like NY.  Make sure you vote, question, demand, contribute and stay involved.  Join NRA, NYSRPA, SCOPE, whatever...but do something.

8)  Range time.  Practice, practice, practice.  Trigger time is important.  I've never taken a deer under perfect conditions.  The more familiar and comfortable you are with your implement, the better your chance of success.

9)  Establish ground rules before you hunt.  I make a point to meet adjacent land owners prior to the season.  I establish wounded/chase rules and build a relationship prior to needing to rely on that relationship.  Since I host the property where my group hunts, I make sure that they all know the rules and are prepared to enforce them as well.

10) Treat your spouse right.  I was married for 7 years before I started hunting, and she's a city girlie-girl.  She doesn't mind guns or hunting, but she'll never take part herself.  Leaving her to her own with three kids with busy schedules more so than normal while I hunt is tough on her.  If you have a similar situation, make sure you 1) thank your spouse for holding down the fort; 2) give her a heads-up in advance to work around schedules 3) do something nice - a night out, girls night out, flowers...something to show you care.  You're still going to get the better deal!

You sure seem to have covered it all.  The only thing I could add is

1work as hard for others to get a deer as you do for yourself.

2 Dont fall for every gimick that comes along, Keep it simple. 

3 Respect the animal you are hunting.

I always thought about a similar list, but it'd be so long that I've never get into the woods again because I wouldn't be done writing any time soon.

It all depends on what you want out of hunting, save ethics/law being in place.