Shopping for new Turkey gun

jjb4900

ok, so I decided that this week I am going to go out and finally get the new Turkey gun I have been promising myself, it will primarily be used for turkey and occasionally waterfowl. I've pretty much narrowed it down to a Benelli SBE II or Vinci, just the standard 28' or 26' barrel, not the special turkey gun....anyone have any experience with these two?

Edited by jjb4900

I bought a SBE about 15 years ago and it has been flawless. That said, if I had to do it again I'd probably get the 3" Montefeltro instead since the quality of turkey loads are so good these days. Same with goose or duck hunting, I don't think you need 3.5" Roman Candles. :)

• Like 1

I bought a SBE about 15 years ago and it has been flawless. That said, if I had to do it again I'd probably get the 3" Montefeltro instead since the quality of turkey loads are so good these days. Same with goose or duck hunting, I don't think you need 3.5" Roman Candles. :)

will definitely check it out.

I've never owned a Benelli, but several of my friends have them, and thier reputation is stellar.

I agree with lawdwaz. If they are too far to kill with 3" shells, they're too far to shoot.

Personally, I'd go with the 26" barrel rather than the 28". Two inches doesn't seem like much, but I find the handling characteristics of the shorter barrel more to my liking, either for turkey hunting or wingshooting.

I should add that at about the same time I also bought a Benelli 20ga Montefeltro.  I know the SBE is a 26" barrel and I think the 20ga is a 24".

I bought the 20ga for dove hunting in PA and it is just a dream to hunt with.......corked pheasants with it too. Shot a pile of casual sporting clays with it over the years and its A1 there also!

EASILY my favorite shotgun, hands down.

That's why I say to take a hard look at the 12ga 3" Montefeltro (if they even still make that or was it replaced by the Vincy?).

I should add that at about the same time I also bought a Benelli 20ga Montefeltro.  I know the SBE is a 26" barrel and I think the 20ga is a 24".

I bought the 20ga for dove hunting in PA and it is just a dream to hunt with.......corked pheasants with it too. Shot a pile of casual sporting clays with it over the years and its A1 there also!

EASILY my favorite shotgun, hands down.

That's why I say to take a hard look at the 12ga 3" Montefeltro (if they even still make that or was it replaced by the Vincy?).

no, I just went to their website and they still have it....I like the finishes offered in the other two, they make a Vinci that's 3" max and the Super Vinci that is 3.5.

Edited by jjb4900

I just looked too.........If it was ME, it would be the 26" 12ga Montefeltro. 

I shoot long guns left handed, almost all my rifles are LH bolts actions but strangely all my shotguns are RH.  I can swap a RH safety for a LH safety on these guns with my eyes partially closed...... :)  Very simple deal!!

I never felt the need to get (and they make them) a LH Benelli.

When I got mine a friend and I bought together at the same time.  Misery loves company????  IIRC we got the SBE's first then a few months later jumped on the 20ga guns.  When we got those guns I think but could be wrong that they didn't offer the black plastic versions.  A few years later my buddy bought one of those also.  I have put more rounds through my 20ga then any other gun I have ever owned and it still looks like a million bucks..... :)

I have shot both in excess, including a Browning Maxus (in same category IMO). I will add my experience with the browning in the event you get to the store and they try to show it to you as an option in the same class of gun. I'm a big browning auto 5 guy so my opinion may be bias to receiver shape but it's what worked for me. All guns have low recoil compared to a pump or o/u or s/s and wasn't an issue for either so I won't mention it. 

Maxus: Didn't like Maxus as it's gas and that the rear of the receiver is too round for me (like I said I'm an auto 5 fan). It was too round and my sight plane was off. Too much adjusting when shouldered (didn't shoulder well for my tall frame). It's a gas gun so it gets a little dirty and takes longer to clean.

SBE2: Better than the Maxus for shouldering and cleaning - not gas operated. Didn't have an issue with the "Bellini click" people sometimes talk about. The rear of the receiver has a slight dogleg/kick in it so it helped when shouldered and was slightly reminiscent of what I grew up shooting (auto 5).

Vinci: By far my favorite of your choices. Again it's clean and easy to maintain - not gas operated. It comes apart in seconds with no parts to lose in the mud (mag cap). The rear of the receiver has a significant kick or dogleg which I liked a whole lot. It made aiming a snap. I can't stress how much I personally liked this gun. It shouldered so well, was well balanced and swung well for me. 

The other thing is to remember that the Vinci is chambered for 2.75" - 3" shells. I assume you want a gun in 3.5" (as you compared it to the SBE2). If so, you should be looking at the "Super Vinci"

no, I just went to their website and they still have it....I like the finishes offered in the other two, they make a Vinci that's 3" max and the Super Vinci that is 3.5.

Will you buy local or over the web?

I do know Gander Mtn had that 10% ANYTHING deal going but I would think with the amount of guns out there that you could scoop one up at a great price off Gunbroker etc...

Will you buy local or over the web?

I do know Gander Mtn had that 10% ANYTHING deal going but I would think with the amount of guns out there that you could scoop one up at a great price off Gunbroker etc...

I'm gonna check out the local shops and see what they have......my brother is more than likely going to pick up a new gun at the same time, hopefully they'll knock a few bucks off if we buy two, if not I'm going to shop around.......still got a few months, so in no rush.

went with the Super Vinci, all the Benellis were very nice to look at and handle.....in the end I liked the way it broke down and the camo finish...most likely will never use the 3.5", but nice to have if I ever decide to.

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 2

went with the Super Vinci, all the Benellis were very nice to look at and handle.....in the end I liked the way it broke down and the camo finish...most likely will never use the 3.5", but nice to have if I ever decide to.

Congrats!

Where did you get it?

went to a local gunshop, Bensen's down on L.I., my brother went with a SBE II as well, so they gave us a good deal....cheaper or just on par with the local Dick's..the Montelfeltro was a nice gun too, just didn't want the Walnut stock and blued metal as we do a lot of open water duck hunting on the salt water. The standard Vinci was nice too, but figured for the extra $200 or so I'd go for the super with the 3.5 option......not an easy decision with 6 or so nice guns of laid out in front of you........no doubt we could have save about $300 between the two if we bought from Gunbroker or the equivalent.  

went to a local gunshop, Bensen's down on L.I., my brother went with a SBE II as well, so they gave us a good deal....cheaper or just on par with the local Dick's..the Montelfeltro was a nice gun too, just didn't want the Walnut stock and blued metal as we do a lot of open water duck hunting on the salt water. The standard Vinci was nice too, but figured for the extra $200 or so I'd go for the super with the 3.5 option......not an easy decision with 6 or so nice guns of laid out in front of you........no doubt we could have save about $300 between the two if we bought from Gunbroker or the equivalent.  

Oh, for some reason I thought you were from this neck of the woods......??  Sounds like you guys had a great day, going to shoot some clay birds tomorrow?!?!  I would be.............................. :)

I bet you made that dealers day, cool.

Oh, for some reason I thought you were from this neck of the woods......??  Sounds like you guys had a great day, going to shoot some clay birds tomorrow?!?!  I would be.............................. :)

I bet you made that dealers day, cool.

yeah, he seemed pretty happy.....I would have been surprised if he didn't offer a deal, probably going out for some real birds in the next day or so...let you know how it goes, and thanks for the input.