Too Many Yote's!!

Doc...The thing about that would be starving litters...for the female still leaves to hunt...That I would have a problem with...thus my suggestion of a 3 month pup rearing break in a season...it would still open the season up more than it is now.

I guess I didn't think about that. Perhaps "child rearing leave" could be incorporated. Other than that the hunting could continue throughout the rest of the year. But even if entire litters were eliminated, the populations supposedly would remain the same because other litters would inflate to take their place ...if I am understanding the theory correctly.

VJP - I don't need to do research to know that many hunters - probably more than half - have little use for coyotes. Hating coyotes - or believing they have no value is either prejudice based on ignorance, or a belief that only the things that benefit humans have value - as if we could even know what is in our interests.

Go back to the beginning of the thread. NYantler says he was once an "avid" member of the He-man Coyote Haters Club. Then he educated himself. My job is to challenge ignorance and prejudice. That is what I am doing. Anyone with an open mind can find all the information they need on-line. Discussions like this plant seeds. Maybe some will grow.

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it." Neil deGrasse Tyson - Applies to coyotes and the climate crisis.

Anyone with an open mind can find plenty of factual evidence that there are certainly coyote overpopulation problems, and they do become a problem if not properly kept in check.  

Articles like the one linked below are common, and even the experts agree it is a problem.  The trouble is, if coyote numbers are allowed to get this high because people are called prejudice or ignorant because of their opinion of the threat coyotes pose, the problem becomes too big to be effectively handled by hunting.  This particular piece comes from NE PA, just over the NY State line.  These people are now waking up to exactly what is in their own interests.

http://www.poconorecord.com/article/20131119/News/311190327

You say your job is to challenge opinions deemed prejudiced or ignorant.  Who has deemed them so?  Who is it that pays you to do this job?  

Someone else stated the concern here:  "Pay anyone enough and they will tell the public what you want them to."

I'm not saying you don't firmly believe what you are being paid to say.  But I do not think the "science" you have embraced on the coyote issue is coming from both sides of the scientific community.  

Planting seeds is great, as long as the seeds are not from harmful flora.

You did say it was your job.  How so?

Regarding the above link, a quote from the article here:

Experts agree that the coyote population in Pennsylvania is exploding.

Game Commission Press Secretary Travis Lau said that 10 years ago there were 15,000 to 20,000 coyotes in the state. In 2012, more than twice as many — 40,000 coyotes — were killed by hunters, he said.

The only thing I would caution against is getting caught up in that "cute little doggy" syndrome. These are not to be confused with "man's best friend". Baby critters of all kinds can find a very strong spot in your heart. Animal rights groups use that tactic all the time. Disney did pretty good with his understanding of our emotional soft-spots too when it comes to animals. I am thinking that game management requires a separation from that kind of emotionalism, when you are discussing management practices of animal population control.

• Like 3