fisher management plan

G-Man

Not sure what was "silly" about that statement...but if you'd like when I get back to a computer I could look it up for you.

To mention grouse and Turkey have a higher reproduction rate when they are in a decline and fishers are increasing ...seems "silly" to me...perhaps I could look to see if I could say fishers have a lower off spring mortality rate than grouse and Turkey...then a less "silly" statement would have been made.

A fair point.  I can't claim to know the numbers, but I would guess there really aren't enough trappers to seriously impact fisher populations.  There certainly seems enough toxic waste to do the job though.

Quite a few fisher are taken every year. In oswego county alone I know of 60+ that were taken.

Actually my reads have said...once 2 yrs of age the females breed...it takes 10 months for the breeding to take ...give birth in spring... wean by the time 4 months.immediately breed and deliver following spring...yes I know 12 months in a year..just giving info I read..which also stated 2-4 in a litter

Fisher have a bad reproductive cycle. They do not bear young until 2 years old and they only have one or two pups every 2 years.

Given this information do you as a trapper feel that the population is healthy given the 60+ taken from your local population and therefore not in need of management?

Or is this an argument for management to sustain trappable populations?

Not sure what was "silly" about that statement...but if you'd like when I get back to a computer I could look it up for you.

To mention grouse and Turkey have a higher reproduction rate when they are in a decline and fishers are increasing ...seems "silly" to me...perhaps I could look to see if I could say fishers have a lower off spring mortality rate than grouse and Turkey...then a less "silly" statement would have been made.

Never mind, I decided to delete my response. 

Edited by mike rossi

Given this information do you as a trapper feel that the population is healthy given the 60+ taken from your local population and therefore not in need of management?

Or is this an argument for management to sustain trappable populations?

There is a healthy population.

Actually my reads have said...once 2 yrs of age the females breed...it takes 10 months for the breeding to take ...give birth in spring... wean by the time 4 months.immediately breed and deliver following spring...yes I know 12 months in a year..just giving info I read..which also stated 2-4 in a litter

They actually do not breed every year.

There is a healthy population.

That only makes me wonder, why even mount the study and take the time to draft a management plan?  This will probably end up like the revised fishing regs where few substantial changes are made, at which point Grow is right.  A waste of time and money.