fisher management plan

G-Man

I am not at all pleased to see them on our land...have caught just their tail ends on my cams the last 3 years and have sat in the blind and watched them run through my woods during deer season...They are fast ...big..and mean...never mind the fact that they steal eggs and eat chicks....but they are able to climb which leaves the turkeys with no defenses at all. I have to ask...Why spend so much time money and effort in getting NYS's turkey populations up...just to manage a predator that can devastate them..We are also loosing all our Grouse. I keep cutting my poplar and I'm putting forth an effort to maintain nesting and food in hopes they recover, just to have these come in and erase my efforts. There was a time not long ago I couldn't walk in the woods I didn't near have a heart attack flushing grouse...our woods sang with their drumming...now I have one small spot in which they nest.

I do understand that some of these small predators are managed to keep them from being trapped to extinction...history shows how easily that could happen...but this isn't then and we have fewer people wearing real fur...and far fewer trappers surviving on that industry...fewer small game hunters selling pelts far less open trappable and huntable lands....POPULATIONS are EXPLODING on private properties that are usually just recreational, deer or turkey lands...it's time to have a bit more common sense put into play with these plans. Skunks,opossums,raccoon and now fishers have to be looked at differently.I'll also add feral cats...they are not your cuddly little house cat...once they go feral, they are wild animals...predators period...fines and jail time for killing feral cats  on woodland properties is beyond crazy.

This is my full opinion on this for what ever thats worth....

Edited by growalot

Why all the hostility towards these guys?  It's never as simple as "the bastards are killing my birds and eating their eggs."  Their one piece of an extremely complex system that, were it not for our intrusion, would come to something approximating equilibrium. 

Nasty, sure.  But not the only critter that eats eggs. 

• Like 1

I know I listed a bunch others...my thing is why bother spending conservation money on things like ...paying people to cut their poplars for the grouse...catch and release turkeys or turkey surveys...bandings ect....then not do a proper job of managing the animals that prey on them...Fishers are big and tree climbers...they eat more than eggs...and I have been finding many more turkey wings and legs on our place than ever before...I had pheasants returning ..now no sign of them....the land scape is changing(private lands) sure habitat has returned for them but how are they breeding compared to the animals that the state has spent lots of money and time to increase and are still having difficulties acheiving their goals with. I stand by what I said they need to rethink the small predator populations.

• Like 1

Fishers are generalist predators. Although their primary prey is snowshoe hare and porcupine, they are also known to supplement their diet with insects, nuts, berries, and mushrooms. Since they are solitary hunters, their choice of prey is limited to their size. Analyses of stomach contents and scat have found evidence of birds, small mammals, and even moose and deer. The latter food sources shows that they are not averse to eating carrion. Fishers have been observed to feed on the carcasses of deer left by hunters.[18] While uncommon, fishers have been found to kill larger animals such as wild turkey, bobcat and lynx.[19][20][21]

Fishers are one of the few predators that seek out and kill porcupines. There are stories in popular literature that fishers can flip a porcupine onto its back and "scoop out its belly like a ripe melon."[22] This was identified as an exaggerated misconception as early as 1966.[23] Observational studies show that fishers will make repeated biting attacks on the face of a porcupine and kill it after about 25–30 minutes.[24]

Uncommon or not it happens and when their surroundings and habitat call for it in PARTICULAR AREAS, for not all areas hold the same food sources, one can conclude it happens more often...they also are referenced in several articles as being a spring time predetors of fawn

That'll happen.  I just don't understand the animosity aimed at an animal for doing what it naturally does.  A guys gotta eat. 

I'm sorry if you feel your grouse are suffering but I think your invective is ill targeted.  If you want to bring their numbers up shoot more crows and coyotes. 

I'd say at this point .... agree to disagree and will ...though I think your missing my point..it isn't just about fishers...It's balancing out management plans in genereral...don't stuff a bunch of funds and time to increase non predetor species and then turn around and not properly address the predetor species..or yet promote them...It makes no sense. If this is the case...just leave them both to their own devises and put the money someplace else where it will do good.

Maybe the fishers are responsible for the drop-off of turkey sightings at our camp....been years since anyone in our camp has seen a turkey, let alone harvest one. Don't see any scratching's/droppings. Very strange.  I suppose the wind generators haven't helped things either.

I'd say at this point .... agree to disagree and will ...though I think your missing my point..it isn't just about fishers...It's balancing out management plans in genereral...don't stuff a bunch of funds and time to increase non predetor species and then turn around and not properly address the predetor species..or yet promote them...It makes no sense. If this is the case...just leave them both to their own devises and put the money someplace else where it will do good.

I can agree with that.  More money for land acquisition and habitat improvement projects would be great.

I have to say I listened to a few fisher cry tapes...and what I thought were all fox or bob cats calling on our place...weren't just them...now some may say it's to hard to tell...but I have an ear for this...which is why I can vocally call turkey ,crow,,and yes even get yotes to come in and answer my calls...I'd just never listen to fisher calls before to notice the difference.

There are actually more people selling fur than you realize. I hope that everyone would make a comment stating they are not happy with the proposal.

I see a lot of fisher on my property and are almost a daily sighting while deer hunting, I have trappers come and trap coon fox and coyote,bobcat in limited season and look forward to see them take some fishers, fur is a renewable resourse, while most imitations are created from oil based products and the creation of fabric make huge amount of tocix chemical waste. I'll stick with natural fur and leather.

I see a lot of fisher on my property and are almost a daily sighting while deer hunting, I have trappers come and trap coon fox and coyote,bobcat in limited season and look forward to see them take some fishers, fur is a renewable resourse, while most imitations are created from oil based products and the creation of fabric make huge amount of tocix chemical waste. I'll stick with natural fur and leather.

A fair point.  I can't claim to know the numbers, but I would guess there really aren't enough trappers to seriously impact fisher populations.  There certainly seems enough toxic waste to do the job though.

I believe in one of the articles  that ,being in the weasel family, they have a very high metabolism. This requiring to eat several times a day...

That is silly  but I will entertain it by arguing rodents and other prey species including grouse and turkeys have a very high reproductive rate...