Hornady XTP

phade

Anyone have experience with these?

Picked up some to tinker with since they are pretty cheap. 240 gr. in a 44 caliber slotted for .50 with the jacket. Haven't shot them yet, but the jacket doesn't seem all that well matched with the projectile.

It depends on preference and what your gun wants, I use 150 grains of 777 with great results out of my Triumph, Especially on shoulder shots. The bullets expand rapidly and drop the deer in there tracks.  They hold together rather well also. I shot a doe facing me the other day just above her brisket. The bullet went through arked upward hit the spine clipped every rib off on one side and logged under her skin just short of the back legs and was in pretty good shape still. I shot a buck first day at 70yrds that it went through both sides, double lung, and left a nice hole. Buck went down quickly. I think they are just as accurate as any other sabot out there.

I'll most likely be pushing it with two 50 gr. T7 pellets this time around. I plan to mess with some other combinations in the Spring, but I doubt I'll be pushing anything more than 100 gr.

Are the other sabots easy to find locally (say Gander Mtn. BPS, etc.) or are they an order item?

I'd like to have these be accurate up to the 125-150 yard range...anyone shoot regularly at that distance with them (range time, etc.)?

I don't think expansion is in question here since it's a fairly well-designed bullet that's seen heavy use in the mz industry, as long it's not overpushed as stated.

Hornady advertises 1" @ 100. Just wondering what type of groups people were getting with it beyond that distance out to 150 yards.