Question For you IT guys . . .

Deerthug

I am looking for a lightweight tablet or laptop with keyboard to run Microsoft Office including Outlook, Word, and Excel. I will be using this primarily for taking notes and email. I also want to be able to connect to my office computer using Teamviewer (which I already use now) or some other connectivity software. 

I  have an Ipad 2 which I now use for this purpose but it has become slow and the screen is too small for my old eyes. Also the word processing software is not so good. So I was thinking of the Surface Pro 3 12" screen running i5 processor with 256g and 8g RAM. 

Any other suggestions??? Thank you in advance. 

Jordan

The Surface would be my first choice for going the windows tablet route. We have tried some of the Dell Venues, and they arent that great. The Lenovo ThinkPad 10 is nice as well if you dont want to spend as much as the Surface costs.

Before I bought a Surface Id probably buy a Macbook Air, but I wouldnt care about touch screen with a laptop.

I would recommend a Macbook Air.   Having recently made the switch from Windows to MacOS I couldn't be happier.  It runs all the Office stuff as well as my Windows machine did.  It's also super lightweight, very slim profile, and looks awesome.

My previous machine was a Dell touchscreen and while in theory it was great, in practice it just meant wiping fingerprints off the screen over and over and over.   Personally if it has a keyboard, I prefer a pointing device like a mouse or a trackpad.  If it's a pure tablet I go with touch.

• Like 1

I already have an iMac as a desktop and I'm happy with it but since upgrading to Yosemite OS many of the office programs crash on me and I have to do restarts. Big mistake to upgrade!!!   :threaten:  Moreover, my Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse which I love and I have used forever is not compatible no matter what software I download on my iMac to try and make it compatible.  Never had a problem before with the prior OS. So now I'm stuck with this little dinky bluetooth apple keyboard with my fat Greek hands. LOL!  :cheese:

As far as getting a Macbook Air, I will be taking my daughter's Macbook Pro and clearing it as she will be getting a new one from her grandparents for her HS graduation. So I will have that also available to me. Maybe I'll just upgraded to a new tablet . . . perhaps the newest Samsung Galaxy tab??

Hmmmm...... something to think about.  ;)

Edited by Deerthug

I already have an iMac as a desktop and I'm happy with it but since upgrading to Yosemite OS many of the office programs crash on me and I have to do restarts. Big mistake to upgrade!!!   :threaten:  Moreover, my Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse which I love and I have used forever is not compatible no matter what software I download on my iMac to try and make it compatible.  Never had a problem before with the prior OS. So now I'm stuck with this little dinky bluetooth apple keyboard with my fat Greek hands. LOL!  :cheese:

As far as getting a Macbook Air, I will be taking my daughter's Macbook Pro and clearing it as she will be getting a new one from her grandparents for her HS graduation. So I will have that also available to me. Maybe I'll just upgraded to a new tablet . . . perhaps the newest Samsung Galaxy tab??

I have a couple of iMacs here at work that I upgraded to Yosemite, and they run Office. No issues. I would probably try to run a repair on the Office software if you are having issues.

You couldnt pay me enough to mess with a Samsung. Ive never had any luck with any Samsung stuff, from phones to refrigerators, anything I own that has Samsung on it, dies quickly.

If you have an Office 365 subscription, you can also go to an Android based tablet or a Chromebook laptop.

You can pick up a 10" tablet for less than Surface tablet.

Note that at the moment, Office 365 for Android works only on non-Intel processors, so you would to check the specs before you buy.

MS Office definitely works on Yosemite. You might try a re-install. Sometimes a major OS upgrade and change/delete old files. I know Office likes to throw lots of files all over the place.

Logitech should also work with Yosemite. Check out this article:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/10/20/how-to-logitech-keyboards-mice-os-x-yosemite/

It is an older article. I would also think that by now Logitech has updated software/drivers.

I like my Samsung TV. They make some good products. Not sure you will be happy with a Samsung tablet if you are immersed into Apple gear.

If you already have an iPad, you might look at some of the options to increase visibility. Apple has always been at the forefront of usability issues. I recently read an article where an organization for the blind gave them recognition for the iPad. If they can make it work for blind people, there has to be a way to increase the font size for people like you and me. Another simple solution (the one I use) is a cheap pair of reading glasses - make all computing much easier on the eyes.

I believe MS Office for iOS is out or had been announced.

Edited by jrm
  • Like 1

Thanks JRM!!!! It worked!!!!

I followed the instructions and downloaded the control center and oh my gosh... I am using  my standard size keyboard with number pad and optical mouse working!  I never thought it would work!!