Hunter Education Course

Ashsplash

Hello, Does anyone know if there are any hunter education coarse within a reasonable distance from the city? I want to get my hunters license before the October so I can hunt for the first time?  

As others mentioned, look at the DEC website for info as classes are added.

It might also be worthwhile to call some different gun shops in neighboring counties. They may know of, or will be hosting, classes which aren't listed yet. Campsite in Huntington usually runs classes (although I don't know if you consider that a reasonable distance from the city). The KoC in Farmingdale (Nassau County) also runs a class.

Move quickly once a class is announced. I remember having trouble finding an open class. When I asked far in advance, I was told I was asking to soon - come back in a few months. When I came back in a few months I was told the class was full and I shouldn't wait so long to find a class. :) 

Can't you do it online now?

In Ashsplash's case and probably for most new hunters who are running on their own, I would not recommend any on-line courses. When you are getting involved in hunting with no personally known hunters for guidance, the more face-to-face contact you can have with other hunters and the instructors, the better. The possibilities for meeting hunting partners or someone who owns hunting land that might offer an invite are things that will never happen with online courses. The object should be to interface with as many others as possible, not stay isolated. You cannot ask questions or get explanations from an on-line course.

Hey guys I'm new to this forum so if I double posted this I'm sorry., I live in Jersey, am a hunter Ed instructor.

My understanding is NY can be tough to find classes to attend.

I live in Vernon, it touches Orange co.

We offer courses there as well as other places. Dates will be posted soon.

Now the course is free, recognized everywhere n everyone is welcome.

If the class shows full when you try n sign up they allow walk ins so just come with your completed workbook.

I believe the one difference in states is an archery proficiency test.

Gotta be in a deers vitals 3 out of 5 shots at 15 yards. 20 if you use a crossbow. Pretty easy. Any questions pm me or check out NJ hunt website