Holding the draw back...

jrussell

Nothing to do with OP's question, but a tip for a newbie. Practicing with a block or 3-D target on the ground, with a horizontal arrow's flight is slightly different than hitting the same vitals at an angled shot from up in a tree. You have to mentally visualize where the vitals are and adjust your aim point to hit them. Basically, compensating for the angle of the shoot! Especially true with closer shots, where shot angle is pretty steep. Also, deer rarely pose completely broadside, so that compensating angle comes into effect too. Wish I had it available, but there was a great animated (game) practice for this visualization somewhere on the web. Possibly on Deer and Deer Hunting's website...?

Bend at the waist! It's critical. Practice from a tree stand too

Nothing to do with OP's question, but a tip for a newbie. Practicing with a block or 3-D target on the ground, with a horizontal arrow's flight is slightly different than hitting the same vitals at an angled shot from up in a tree. You have to mentally visualize where the vitals are and adjust your aim point to hit them. Basically, compensating for the angle of the shoot! Especially true with closer shots, where shot angle is pretty steep. Also, deer rarely pose completely broadside, so that compensating angle comes into effect too. Wish I had it available, but there was a great animated (game) practice for this visualization somewhere on the web. Possibly on Deer and Deer Hunting's website...?

I know the guy that helped develop the first version of that.  it's called Cyber Deer Hunter Education software.  we just using it this weekend.  I've got an app on my iPhone from Deer and Deer Hunting.  fun to play with if you're a new hunter.  I'd recommend downloading it to your phone.

Sitting in your stand is the perfect time to play out all the possible scenarios in your head. A well placed tree stand should conceal you enough to draw while the deer passes by giving you a nice quartering away shot.

All the planning in the world can't prepare you for every scenario, but just remain calm, breathe and use your judgment.

Growalot brought up a good point about watching for other deer that you can't see. Deer are gonna bust you at some point, it's part of hunting. So have fun and learn from your mistakes

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

I am estimating that my normal draw-hold is right around 5 seconds as I steady the pin down on the target (deer). That I my practice session draw-sight-shoot cycle duration. So anything longer than that disrupts my perfect shooting cycle. When do I start losing form or start shaking? I guess I have never timed that, but there certainly does have to be some limiting time.