Strange..

ants

I went to the range today with my Remmy 700 (lefty) in 30-06. I haven't fired the rifle in about 5 years. It was dialed right in at 100yds with 150 gr. Remington core Lokts. Today they flew like $hit. High right (same box of ammo from last time I shot it). I tweaked it and after 8 rounds I got it at about 3-4". Not impressed. For the hell of it I ran some cheap Winchester 150 gr power points through it. It shot about 1" with no adjustments!! Im stumped. It never liked the power points over the Remingtons.

Im glad it grouped the Win's well and I now have confidence in that load but, wondering what the hell happened..

If the ammo is old, I'd suspect that is the issue.  Try a new box and see what happens.

You have to define what is meant by ammo going "bad".  Old, improperly stored ammo will usually fire reliably, but the accuracy it retains is a whole different issue.

Edited by Mr VJP

Sure you don't have an excessive amount of copper fouling in the bore?

Nope…I cleaned the bore, with copper solvent and a nylon brush, before I put it up, 5 years ago, and I run a rag through the bore of all my stored guns, about every 2 months.

I don't like the Remington Ammo, years back had 2 hang fires in the same box of 5 12ga slugs. Missed a nice 9pt because of them at 30yrs by the time I chambered another he was gone. Last week I took out the 30-30 had some Remington Cor-lok ammo my daughter just picked up fro dicks, hang fire right off the bat. I always liked Winchester better. When Hasting 1st made rifle barrels all the craze was sabots, I tried everything to sight it in had high low right left no groups at all. Tried the Remington's and they were the worse. I went down to an old time gunsmith he said have you just tried Winchester 2/4's ? well I loaded up 3 shots later nice groups at 100yrds. Needless to say that's all that gun ever seen. Killed a lot of deer with that gun & not one hang fire or sight in change year to year Winchesters have been the most consistent factory Ammo for me. You would be surprised how many times the gun picks the Ammo so focus on accuracy and not price.

Edited by Huntscreek