Sad reality

SCbklyn

Yesterday my Dad and I got out to the range to do some shooting. We both took our 30-30's and a few other toys. Being the good son that I am, I told my father to give me his guns so I could clean them. This morning I got up early and went to work cleaning.

I took apart his 336 (built in 1976) and gave it a good much needed cleaning. Put it back together nice and clean. I than proceeded to take apart my "336" built by Remington (purchased in 2014). What a difference in the two guns. The older 336 has a nice heavy bolt, the lever, although worn a bit looks solid. Nice gold trigger. Beautiful walnut stock. Mine....mine looks like marlin in remington cloths. The bolt is solid but not like the older one. The lever is a lever. The finish on the newer one is that annoying finish that picks up lint from cleaning patches and rags. Fit and finish on mine is mediocre at best.

Don't get me wrong, mine shoots great and I have it with open sights. It cycles well and I enjoy shooting it....but it's a far cry from my Dads marlin.

Nice side-by-side comparison. Thanks.

It's the same with most products today, because for most people price is the bottom line and that's what drives the manufacturers.

I have construction tools that have been with me for almost 40 years that still work great. A few years is all I can expect out of most anything I buy now regardless of the price.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...