2015 western duck hunting thread

monkeyman2269

I just did a quick DIY Mojo feet repair. Im going to try a dry field hunt in the morning where I hunted geese last week. There were a few ducks buzzing us I'll setup where they landed. Its ten minutes from home I can be back before work one way or the other

Any luck yet

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Well I intended to go duck hunting but in my rush to leave and drop off my freightliner for repair I forgot my waders and didn't realize until after I let gander mtn but atleast I bought a dozen mallard decoys and a duck call lol we might get a duck yet

So the decoys I got are weighted keels so o weighted 6 of them individually but the other 6 I'm putting on a line to run out so do I not weight these ones ?

Not sure if you are asking about gang rigging or making a jerk rig.

You can gang rig puddle duck decoys, however that practice is more commonly used for diving ducks. There are a number of reasons for this. 

1) A flock of divers sit on the water in "rafts." It is easier to set a raft spread by gang rigging. 

2) Divers, when they approach a raft swim up to the other birds in a line, so a line of decoys on a gang rig imitates that. 

3) Other times divers will fly into the raft instead of swimming. However, they will follow the line of swimmers to the main pod of birds. In theory, with the correct wind and other conditions, you can funnel the birds to you with such a decoy set up. 

4) Puddle ducks generally do not raft or follow lines of swimming birds. I am not saying it will never work, but puddle duck decoys set up in a diver duck pattern is not natural. 

A jerk rig is different. That is to put motion in the spread. There are many ways to make a jerk rig, but the concept is you pull the decoys from a fixed point (stake or large anchor or tied to a tree ) . Attached to the fixed object is a section of bungee cord. You pull the line and stretch the bungee which moves the decoys toward you. You then release the line and the bungee draws the decoys back toward the fixed point. So you get back and forth motion. It might be easier just to buy a robo duck or mojo, because these are legal in NY. Some states they are not, in those states the jerk rig is more popular because a robo duck is not an option. 

• 3 weeks later...