2015 western duck hunting thread

monkeyman2269

Blacks are pretty common here, but I've never seen a gadwall in the fall, and only one widgeon and one pintail...

I see widgeon, gadwall, and hooded mergies in the spring every year, but never during duck season...

I agree on eating mallards and woodies...Probably my favorite game meat of all..Fall blacks are also excellent, at least the ones I shoot around here,comparable to mallards..Teal are excellent also, but you need a few to make a meal..Back when the season used to open earlier in October I used to get quite a few teal, but opening this late I seldom see any..

Blacks are pretty common here, but I've never seen a gadwall in the fall, and only one widgeon and one pintail...

I see widgeon, gadwall, and hooded mergies in the spring every year, but never during duck season...

I agree on eating mallards and woodies...Probably my favorite game meat of all..Fall blacks are also excellent, at least the ones I shoot around here,comparable to mallards..Teal are excellent also, but you need a few to make a meal..Back when the season used to open earlier in October I used to get quite a few teal, but opening this late I seldom see any..

we see lots of mergs on Ontario, all types. They are beautiful birds but man they taste worse than tires so we don't shoot them

Yessir. Left home at 1, three hour drive, two hour paddle, three hour hunt, two hour paddle, three hour drive home. All on no sleep. And now I'm drinking beer at a softball fund raiser. I may not live

At my advanced age, that regimen WOULD kill me...I have trouble enough getting my ragged old ass out of bed and on the river (about a 5 minute drive) by shooting time...

You sure EARN your ducks !!

Do it as long as you can..I was still going strong at 44 ..

I never saw much difference until I reached my early 50s...Between 50 and 60... BIG difference...

Now I'm in my 60s and there are LOTS of things that I can't do anymore...

I can still make it to the top of the mountain, but it TAKES a lot longer...<<sigh>>....

• Like 1

No du k hunting for me this year. The dog has reached a point that although her heart is 120% into it her body is absolutely whipped after a day of hunting. I'm afraid she could get in trouble if she overdoes it.

First missed year in 12 with her......times are changing.

I did have great day bowhunting though!!

• Like 2

Well me and the lab wandered out and kicked up some geese and sat down in the cat tails hoping some would swing by but nope none did we only sat for an hour but my dog did good for his first time out he sat down contempt waiting like me ... Now if only next time we can get lucky and see some ducks

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

There are literally 700+ geese using a field by my house right now. I have permission to hunt it in September and March but not during deer season. You should hear the racket when they leave at night its pretty awesome

There is a place i deer hunt that is a duck refuge no duck hunting. That has 10000 or so geese in it at any time. When they take off its impressivy loud

• Like 3