Older guns and steel shot

philoshop

I have the opportunity to do a little duck and goose hunting this year. A friend owns a place along Seneca Lake and has a blind set up on his dock, and permission to hunt a couple of fields for geese as well. Strictly for fun, without being too serious about it.

I haven't hunted ducks since the steel-shot law went into effect. :rolleyes: Yep, I'm that old, though I took a lot of them back in the 70's and early 80's.

The only shotgun I have with a bird barrel is a mid-1960's Ithaca 37 with a modified choke. From what I've read it's considered safe to use with steel shot, but is it worth buying a duck stamp to take an older 2 3/4" chambered gun to a duck hunt today?

I could just take the camera, but it would be fun to shoot a duck again.

Thoughts?

If your 37 is in nice condition I would say,leave it home and maybe borrow a gun. If its an old beater then go for it. I remember, way back, seeing older shotgun barrels with long, deep grooves worn into the bores from shooting steel shot. 

I used my old 37 for duck when steel first became law..........put a lot of rounds down the barrel and never noticed a problem, but it's a gun that saw A LOT of use. If it's only a one time thing, pick up some other type of non toxic shot....a bit more expensive, but for once or twice, that's what I would do.

Thanks guys.

It's a beloved beater. She's got 50 years worth of cosmetic wear on her.  Always well cared for but it has been in the muck at the bottom of several swamps over the years. It was never babied.

It's never failed me, and I kind of miss carrying it. The smoothbore punkin balls have taken lots of deer over the years.

We're set go for Wednesday morning. It'll be a nostalgia trip for sure. I'll get some pics while I'm at it.

• Like 1