Lost my first deer

Fehyd643

Well, I found my deer!  Was out yesterday and I saw him walk by with barely a limp.  He had his opposite side facing me, so I did not get to see the poi, but he didnt seem to be in any pain.  Never got close enough for me to seal the deal, but honestly I am just super happy he lived.  Freezer or forest.  Those are all I want for my deer.  lol

• Like 5

Simply put we are all human and by that delegation we are not perfect.  Add the fact that you are hunting a wild animal that will not always pose for a shot, accelerated breathing and heart beat.  This is why making a "perfect shot" is such an accomplishment.  Don't sweat it, we all make mistakes, EVERYONE!

Anyone who claims to be perfect is basically a stuck up idiot and if they want a challenge I will film them and prove they are not!  Even the most seasoned of hunter make mistakes.

Glad you found him!!!  Now get back on that horse and go get him!  Good luck! 

Ran out of likes again so to your last post, LIKE!

• Like 1

Well, I found my deer!  Was out yesterday and I saw him walk by with barely a limp.  He had his opposite side facing me, so I did not get to see the poi, but he didnt seem to be in any pain.  Never got close enough for me to seal the deal, but honestly I am just super happy he lived.  Freezer or forest.  Those are all I want for my deer.  lol

Wow, that is good news relatively speaking. This is exactly why barbed broad heads are illegal. Unless that wound goes bad the deer should be good to go. Hopefully my deer from a week ago went through the same thing. Similar experience to you :(

hard to say what the loud thwack was.  it's possible you just hit him back and high.  muscle tissue like wound with no arteries or intestinal damage.  clots fast unless you're pushing hard.  don't do that unless you're gun hunting to get a follow up.  he'll do what he continues to do.  we had one happen like that.  it was taken later during rifle season.  acted normal with just a hole in the hide.

you saw it not limping but I would've guess leg shot as that's a loud crack with little droplets of bright red blood.  I just center punched one this weekend through both lungs.  two 3" diameter holes.  couldn't find any blood and it ran like heck until it fell over.  probably over 200 yards from impact.  lots of pinkish red bubbled up blood coming out where it ended up.  just keep learning what to look for and what things mean.  also know that if you're focused hard on the spot you're aiming at and follow through many times you'll see the arrow impact that far out.  crazy stuff happens to deer when shot... keep learning, keep with it, and don't repeat mistakes you know you're making.  good to hear you got some piece of mind!