peep sight

Red

old way of thinking was a smaller peep for accuracy and to center the pin in the peep.  new way of thinking is to get a bigger 1/4" peep and bigger 2" pin guard.  center pin guard in the peep and first most used pin is centered within guard.  much more light and visibility to get on and stay on the deer vitals.  if I can't clearly make out where the pin should go it's way too dark to be shooting.  even with a lighted nock.

Edited by dbHunterNY

Not sure how the peep eliminators could do this?  At least mine doesn't.  Since you don't look through anything, just check the floats / levels/ etc on the sight platform, I think you get better sight visibility using an eliminator.  Not using a peep, your eye gets all the light, not just what makes it through the peep, and as they improve form, you actually will be more consistent at longer ranges.  I routinely practice out to 70 yds over the summer quite easily, which makes those 25 yd shots look like a slam dunk. 

Maybe I misunderstood you?  What model/type had that issue, just for reference?

I'm thinking of something like the hind sight ii: http://www.amazon.com/Hind-16548-Sight-II/dp/B003CNWBDQ/ref=pd_sim_200_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41AhSvcO6BL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1A54MA33YVF9PPVT84AD

But the sight radius still exists, as you're looking down a tube and aligning a circle within crosshairs: 

It may not be significant enough to matter on a bow, I don't know.

Might be fun to play with one of these, though. I couldn't find any peep-less sights locally otherwise I would have bought one already to play with. But I also didn't want to mess around mid-season.

I can't imagine shooting without a peep OR one of these no-peeps. Maybe I should try it, I bet I would be horrendous.

old way of thinking was a smaller peep for accuracy and to center the pin in the peep.  new way of thinking is to get a bigger 1/4" peep and bigger 2" pin guard.  center pin guard in the peep and first most used pin is centered within guard.  much more light and visibility to get on and stay on the deer vitals.  if I can't clearly make out where the pin should go it's way too dark to be shooting.  even with a lighted nock.

It seems to me some target shooters still use a tiny peep and center on pin? Nobody explained a darn thing to me when I started so I assumed that was the way to go. Only started going to a larger peep and centering housing within it about two weeks ago and I Much prefer that for the reasons you mentioned. It's now possible to see the level at the same time as everything else, and my groupings continue to improve every week as I figure out better ways to shoot.

Edited by Core

this morning.I decided to go and do a short hunt in. east aurora I had things to do at 11 so I was going to sit until 10

I got into my stand at 550 at 620 I have a deer right behind me making all kinds of noise 10 minutes later it walks out at 30 yrds and tasks the trail out of the area to dark out to tell what it was a little while later I hit my grunt tube twice and with in.15 seconds I have 2 deer in front of me both are bucks but im not looking at tge racks the second bucks body was much bigger so I focus on his body while he's sniffing my scent rag at 12 yrds away broadside I draw my bow back but can't see my peep is twisted I let down twist my.peep draw again still can't see wtf I let down again twist it draw still can't see threw the peep so this time I put my eye on the string next to the peep put my 20yrd pin behind his shoulder and hear that amazing sound after the release and with in seconds I hear him crash.

I sat for 45 minutes when I realized I could actually see my buck laying dead 50yrds from my.stand. my wife and kids are very excited to have some venison going.into the freezer.

Next time twist it at the arrow nock. Now that you have your deer go into a bow shop and have them throw in or take out a half twist in the top of your string and it should fix your peep.

Edited by chas0218

Tried this with a smaller sight housing and i couldn't group a set of arrows under 8" my groups increased 5 times their normal size.

Tried this with a smaller sight housing and i couldn't group a set of arrows under 8" my groups increased 5 times their normal size.

yea you want peep to fit your housing more.  my sight picture does have a small air/light gap between the housing and the peep.  I can subconsciously make corrections easier to keep things lined up.  I shoot competition and hunt this way.