Fatback......

growalot

My doe from opening weekend was average I would say.  Monday evening I processed a nice 7 point buck by buddy shot on Sunday.  He was fat,  I skinned him Sunday evening and come Monday  I could just peel the fat off of him.  From the rump all the way down to his neck half inch thick layers of fat.  Nice deer!

I have butchered about 10 here in DMU 3M and the does have some not as much as one might expect for the amount of food around seeing about 1/2 on most up to a 1'' on the older does, and the bucks have a little 1/4 inch although I skinned a nice 8 pt on Sunday not a ounce of fat anywhere miserable skinning them like that. 

Deer from farm country vs deer from the big woods will have noticeable difference in back fat . Corn, clover , food plot , farm country deer will have a noticeable more amount of fat  than a deer than was living on twigs and leaves. The available food sources will dictate  the mount of stored fat, big woods deer that don't have the acorns available , and other high fat foods will have less fat  than say the year before. Antler size is also affected by the available foods and minerals.