Disappointing performance

Tio1

Harvested a deer yesterday utilizing Hornady 12 ga 2 3/4" sabot slugs. Deer slightly quartering towards and the shot placed behind front shoulder. Deer expired 75 yds from impact but no exit wound. Expected more from this round.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Why do want pass thru? If getting expansion it's dumping energy. I shot 3 consecutive deer with light fields and all where lodged under skin of opposite shoulder. One doe was shot from about 25 feet with 3". She crumbled right there. If your talking SST's I've heard they pass thru with no expansions. I myself want energy dump not pass thrus.

• Like 2

I guess my results aren't typical, but the two deer I ( and daughter) took with SST's died really quick. 

First one 20ga, ran maybe 15yds and died. Second, 12ga, shot at 10-20yds, fell directly over and died.

Neither round exited.

I do have some lightfields that I'm wanting to try out though. I did have one deer I thought I missed with SST, but maybe not? There was no blood, but most are saying that's an SST trait.

• Like 1

There was no blood trail. I fully expected with the amount of energy being carried and with shot placement that this round would've created an exit wound. Had I not heard the deer crash, this could've been a different outcome with the lack of blood trail that would've been assisted with exit wound. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Edited by Tio1

My all time favorite slug is the Winchester Supreme Partition Gold. I've shot deer at 50 yards that literally crumpled to the ground and I found heart/lung pieces on the ground on the opposite side! Unfortunately, they no longer make them. Here's a pic showing the exit wound:

post-1236-0-41072300-1448222574_thumb.jp

Edited by gunner1
  • Like 1