Anyone hunt Otsego?

Geno C

I hunt in Otsego county, right near the Deleware county line. We have always done good up there and the deer tend to be fairly large. Where you are looking is a little north of me. If you want I'll keep my eyes open. By me land unfortunately is getting quite expensive, I lucked out and got a great deal. However near me you can expect to pay 3-4 thousand an acre. But there are deals out there if you keep looking . Go online or call Country Boy Realty they have some nice land for sale that are priced fair (I ended up using them). When I was looking I tended to stay away from Timberland properties as thier prices seem to be top dollar per acre. Let me know if you need any help.

I have property in the southren part of Otsego county. This year was not a good year. Didn't see many bucks and not so many does. But in years past it isn't any different than any other county.

I agree with it not being a good year in terms of deer seen and rut activity, but that is how it goes.  Large bodied deer, with average racks, but every now and then a whopper comes through.

I hunt that area of Otsego.  What town the property in?

how many acres did you purchase and how long ago? i looked quickly on CBR's site. they do have alot of properties. how was your experience with them?

I purchased 41 acres and that was 3 years ago,the transaction went very smoothly, however each deal can be different based upon the agent and how bad the seller wants to sell?  My family has been hunting up there for close to 50 years or so from Grand Gorge to Oneonta. I have hunted in the same area for 24 years and I love it. As Tail hunt indicated the bodies on deer can be big however we have taken some really huge bodied bucks and some really heavy does, the racks are average but there are big ones out there like anywhere else.

We hunt outside of Richmondville, not a lot of deer but lots of space to rome. We hunt roughly 5-600 acres and its steep hilly terrain. You can go days with out seeing something but that could be just our spot. Usually when you do see one, there is a buck around it seems. My brother has taken some real nice ones there while still hunting including a few in the 115-136 range, I have not but thats because I care more about filling the freezer than I do about racks and rarely hunt there. This year we were chasing 3 good ones, my brother got one of them with the bow the other we think was taken with gun over the hill and the third is unaccounted for. There is plenty of pressure there and every thing else bad that could go on does but there are still deer around. It is also a great area for Turkey hunting, in fact my favorite spot for that. Good luck in your search!