I would like to take my nephew archery hunting for turkeys this coming spring

MuzzyLoader

I would like to take my nephew archery hunting for turkeys this coming spring (and I've never done it!).  I have a 2-man blind, and he bought two decoys (1-hen/1-tom).  He's been practicing with a diaphram call and we recently joined an archery league to hone our skills.  We'll probably use spitfire broadheads - however...

I have a little bit of a problem - Where do you aim on a turkey to hit the vitals?  Is it true we should wait 'til one turns his back to the blind and shoot it in the 'hole'?

DANG... I tried to delete this post and start a NEW THREAD.  Mr. Administrator... can you help me please?

Muzzy.

On a broadside shot aim for the wingbutts, where the wings are attached to the body.  If the bird faces away the Texas Heart Shot is always deadly.  :D

Thank you young man for your response.  I can't wait for turkey season this spring... I so hope my nephew gets to experience a tom turkey strutting 20yds in front of him!  Ought to be a rush.

I think a lot of folks that prefer the "Texas heart shot

do for other reasons than putting it down well. It is much easier to make the draw with a bow when the bird is not looking at you. I hae been busted enough with a gun to know drawing a bow is tough...lol. If you are blind hunting it is a plus for covering your movement.

I am not sure what type of broadhead a spitfire is but if you plan on leaving the shooting screens in the windows, a mechanical will NOT work. I typically remove the shooting screens for deer hunting....I tried to practice through them and didn't like the results. If you are going to hunt with them...try a practice session for it.

I think a lot of folks that prefer the "Texas heart shot

do for other reasons than putting it down well. It is much easier to make the draw with a bow when the bird is not looking at you. I hae been busted enough with a gun to know drawing a bow is tough...lol. If you are blind hunting it is a plus for covering your movement.

I am not sure what type of broadhead a spitfire is but if you plan on leaving the shooting screens in the windows, a mechanical will NOT work. I typically remove the shooting screens for deer hunting....I tried to practice through them and didn't like the results. If you are going to hunt with them...try a practice session for it.

Great Info... Thanks.

Using decoys you can occasionally position a strutting decoy,so that a gobbler or gobblers will come in and turn their backs to ya.Either strutting or standing. I position my strutter decoy so the back of the fan is facing the direction from which the tom is approaching. They like to blindside the decoy. Makes it easier to draw on them with their rear end toward you and they are distracted. If they are just standing, back to you. I aim just above the crease where the tail starts. Fan tail up, right in their O ring(texas heart). Broad side I follow up the leg and mid body. I've had it take one or both wings out of the picture. And they usually can't get the push off the ground also. And definitely practice shooting from the blind in a sitting or kneeling position. I've had them come in and had to get off the stool/chair, to my knees to shoot. Good luck this spring hope you guys get a crack at a few.

I would consult your local proshop about what broadheads to use.  I use Redhead Gator XPs for deer and turkey - for turkey in particular, I like a big cutting broadhead that will penetrate the bird and stick in it if necessary.  We have one turkey bow kill on our DVD this year and it was shot with a Spitfire - the bird didn't make it far (maybe a few yards) before expiring.  The nice thing about birds is that, because of the feathers, you can guarantee that the blades will open.  But, if your nephew is young and not drawing much weight, Spitfires may not be the best option for penetration.