20 Gauge Turkey Loads

Mossberg500Guy

I've killed my 3 birds with Win XX and Rem Nitro my shots are limited to 30 or less yards, and I'm sure that the lead loads have the same results at 30 yards (dead birds), was looking at least to get out to 45 yards but probably wont be able to unless i spend the money for Hevi loads, agree wish the Long Beards were in 20 gauge heard they have awesome performance in 12 ga.

With the money you'll spend on chokes and loads, to get your 20 ga. to reach out to 45 yds. why not just get a 12 ga gun???

• Like 4

Geeze, 7600...You are going to a lot of effort and expense for choke tubes and loads if you don't shoot past 25 yards.

You can kill the biggest gobblers on the planet all day long at 25 yards with skeet or trap loads.

If I limited myself to 25 yards, I'd never use any shot heavier than 7 1/2s and no choke tighter than Improved cylinder.

I realize that you are a marksman and no doubt have nerves of steel, but most of us mere mortals would be handicapping ourselves shooting such tight chokes at such close ranges. I personally like them around 35-40 yards...Still within sure kill range, but far enough out so that the pattern spread can help counteract the adrenaline factor.

You know me pyg. It's only got an 18" barrel :) and my Carlson isn't the tightest it's actually about the same constriction as a full. I get a beautiful 8" pattern at 25 yds. With a fixed 2x leupold it doesn't give me any excuses.

I have chased a couple wounded birds before I got my sh*t together and it's not fun. With my 870 setup they usually only flop once.

When I bought my 12ga I bought a box of Hevi Game from Hevi-Shot, they are lead and only $11 per 25. 2-3/4" #6 and at 35 yards they had a good pattern. I would not shoot much farther with them

I also bought a box of Rio Bismuth 3" #4. I shot two and was impressed. Tighter at 35yds so I would not think twice of a 40-45 yd shot with them. This is my turkey load. Great option if you are worried about steel messing up your barrel. I am just not sure they make a 3" for a 20.

Edited by ....rob

• 2 weeks later...