DEC Announces Proposed Rule Changes to Allow Big Bore Air Rifles for Big Game Hunting

Rebel Darling

2 hours ago, Borngeechee said:

Wouldn't a well constructed 223 round at 2700fps be more capable than a 30 air rifle at 900fps on deer sized game?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

41 minutes ago, shawnhu said:

Hopefully both will be legal soon.

You can hunt deer with a .223 in NY.

• Like 1

As far as I know, any center fire cartridge. Even a .222 is legal. I will have to look again, but, that's what I always read on DEC.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8310.html

Q: What types of rifles are allowed for big game hunting in New York?
A: All center-fire rifles are legal in New York except fully automatic firearms, an autoloading firearm capable of holding more than 6 shells, or any firearm equipped with a silencer. See the legal implements page for more information. There is no caliber requirement. Rimfire ammunition cannot be used for deer or bear hunting.

Edited by ....rob

As far as I know, any center fire cartridge. Even a .222 is legal. I will have to look again, but, that's what I always read on DEC.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8310.html

Q: What types of rifles are allowed for big game hunting in New York?
A: All center-fire rifles are legal in New York except fully automatic firearms, an autoloading firearm capable of holding more than 6 shells, or any firearm equipped with a silencer. See the legal implements page for more information. There is no caliber requirement. Rimfire ammunition cannot be used for deer or bear hunting.

I recall the wording for rifle hunting for deer was any center fire .22 or larger, but can't find the reference to this at the moment.

Any one else think that this is just the beginning of the liberals trying to ban all guns in NY! They will say look you don't need that hunting rifle in our state any more. You can use your air gun.. And then they will try and take our guns.... For anyone who believes in their 2nd amendment rights be careful about supporting this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Any one else think that this is just the beginning of the liberals trying to ban all guns in NY! They will say look you don't need that hunting rifle in our state any more. You can use your air gun.. And then they will try and take our guns.... For anyone who believes in their 2nd amendment rights be careful about supporting this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they wanted our guns, wouldn't the bow being legal to hunt and now the crossbow be enough to say, why need guns? Just use the bow.

13 hours ago, shawnhu said:

I recall the wording for rifle hunting for deer was any center fire .22 or larger, but can't find the reference to this at the moment.

Even the lowly .22 Hornet is a legal deer hunting weapon.....imagine that!

2 hours ago, shawnhu said:

If they wanted our guns, wouldn't the bow being legal to hunt and now the crossbow be enough to say, why need guns? Just use the bow.

Well, in fact they do want our guns, but the point is well made that airguns are not really going to provide any kind of precedent  for that.