.223 Deer

NYBuckHunter27

When you bow hunt you try to use the most leathel combination you can,the best bow you can afford,the most leathel and accurate broadheads you can find and draw the most weight that you can comfortably and accurately handle that's all you can do,when it comes to the 223 for deer you have better options

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

I use a recurve or longbow and wooden arrows... with old school Zwicki Broad heads... no sights... and I know many guys that do the same... not sure any of what you said applies.

• Like 1

I use a recurve or longbow and wooden arrows... with old school Zwicki Broad heads... no sights... and I know many guys that do the same... not sure any of what you said applies.

and there goes my buddy's traditional bow made of hornbeam ,wooden arrows and flint tips. Routinely kills deer with it too. But practices ALOT and knows his capabilities as well

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 2

and there goes my buddy's traditional bow made of hornbeam ,wooden arrows and flint tips. Routinely kills deer with it too. But practices ALOT and knows his capabilities as well

exactly... it's all about the confidence you have in the weapon you're using

• Like 1

I am relatively new to bow hunting and therefore can not comment on how lethal the recurve or longbow is with old school arrows but I am not new to rifle hunting deer and while a 223 will without a doubt kill a deer with a well placed shot I just believe there are better options

I am relatively new to bow hunting and therefore can not comment on how lethal the recurve or longbow is with old school arrows but I am not new to rifle hunting deer and while a 223 will without a doubt kill a deer with a well placed shot I just believe there are better options

Agreed there are better options.. but not really a bad choice for the proficient shooter. I'm not that guy... so I'll stick to my 30-06. Actually I would be best served by a rifle that kills with an ear shot :)
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Native Americans killed Buffalo with a sharp stick....

Regardless, check out the 300 blackout specs...pretty nifty round, basically a .223

As far as my HO, I wouldn't consider a .223 unless it was my only option, and if I did, I'm confident I'd kill deer

Edited by TreeGuy