Coyote Hunting

hey guys, I'm new to the forum and looking to find people to do some coyote hunting with. I live on long island and looking to do some coyote hunting upstate. I just got into it and there are some pretty cool videos that I've seen posted. Looks like it's a blast but none of my buddies are interested. Looking to go out and learn the ropes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Hey bud. Welcome to the forum. I love yote hunting and live in brooklyn. Its on the way upstate for ya and ide go with ya one day.. work scheduele is a bit craZy buecause of anow but next time i get out ill hit ya up. Know any good open fields Upstate in rifle county? 

Hey What's up, thanks for the response.

yeah, that would be great, we could meet up somewhere and head upstate. I can usually go on the weekends. I looked at Cranberry Mountain and Great Swamp in Patterson, NY. These are state lands in Putnam County and since it's after deer season you can use your rifle. I figured these were close enough to go up there for the day.

You can check these out at http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8297.html

You can also go on Google maps and check out the terrain, like I said I'm new at this so it's all by trial and error for me. I'm sure if we ask some farmers they won't have a problem with us getting rid of some coyotes for them.

Welcome to the forum my friend! I live in Gilbertsville NY. when you come on up i got alotta coyotes up here and would love to get togetehr with you. i dont have any equitment for coyotes other then mouth calls, and i do have a couple of farms including my girlfriends that i could get some dead calfs from if they die. so let me know and id be game to provide some great hunting land!

Hey Jordan, thank you very much for offering the land. I'd love to take a ride up there and hunt some of your land. It's a bit of a ride from long island so I have to see when I can spend a whole weekend to head up there. I use mouth calls myself but coyote hunting seems like it's a blast, especially going out there with a few friends. It's great to see that this forum has good people that offer their help. Thank you again.

John

hey john. It does seem like a blast. Im going to also extend my hunting rights by talking to some more of my locals. dosnt hurt to have a bunch of nice yote hunting land to hunt! Would love to get together to do a hunt. one of my buddys has some of the sound stuff u set out with speakers and im sure we could use them. My girlfriends dads farm has ALOT of coyotes and i have rights to that land. So let me know whenever you are going to come up when ever you find out and we can hook up and Pop n Drop em!

Hey What's up, thanks for the response.

yeah, that would be great, we could meet up somewhere and head upstate. I can usually go on the weekends. I looked at Cranberry Mountain and Great Swamp in Patterson, NY. These are state lands in Putnam County and since it's after deer season you can use your rifle. I figured these were close enough to go up there for the day.

You can check these out at http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8297.html

You can also go on Google maps and check out the terrain, like I said I'm new at this so it's all by trial and error for me. I'm sure if we ask some farmers they won't have a problem with us getting rid of some coyotes for them.

John,

Don't get too exited about Cranberry or GreatSwamp, they look great on paper but in reality Cranberry is way overcrowded with dog walkers and whatnot...make sure you clearly see your target and what's behind it.

I was at GreatSwamp for the last 2 weekends did not even see any tracks, no dogs, no foxes... I saw few pheasants that's all and tons of people skiing, walking dogs and just annoy the %#$@%# out of me...If I were you I would consider Sterling Forest it is a bigger place to hunt plus probably even closer to you than Putnam County.

Cheers

Hey Thanks for the heads up, I was told that Cranberry gets crowded. I was up there once a few years ago and did see a lot of dog walkers. I wasn't sure about great swamp but thanks for clearing that up. I hate being out in the woods posted up and seeing a bunch of people walk by.

A friend and I decided to check out Sterling Forest Monday and I think that's where I'm going to head from now on. We didn't see anyone out there and it was a lot closer to home. We didn't get to see any yotes but we did see a lot of tracks from different wildlife. I think Sterling Forest is the best bet and there's a lot a space to explore out there.

Cheers

BKLN....LOL...yeah thanks for saving me a crap load of time and money....I found out the hard way about hunting cranberry many years ago so I haven't been back there since. Since I'm new to Yote hunting, I'm trying to find people to hunt with and different places to hunt. Looks like this is the right forum to be in. So far I found Sterling Forest to be the best bet but I would love to come up by your neck of the woods and shoot some dogs, let me know when you head out there.

I used to hunt for pheasants every year at  Craberry Mt. and it REALLY can get crowded especially since there is such limited parking. (They have specific parking spaces for hunters, and I doubt that there were over 10 spots, unless it changed recently).

I have seen red fox there twice on the way up the road to get to the parking spots.

Due to the amount of pheasants there I did try hand predator calls once , but didn't see anything. I did think there was a possibility that one had come close based on the excited sounds of birds a bit out in front of me. BUT since I didn't see anything I can't confirm it.

I hadn't thought of coyotes at the time , I was hoping for a  red fox.

I know someone that turkey hunted in the spring a few years ago and ran into horseback riders, so I guess it is a multiple use area.

I was told by the DEC that Cranberry is a good spot for Coyotes which I don't doubt. I think the problem is that there is limited parking and you can't post anywhere without having somebody walk by you and ruin the hunt. I think that being that it's so close to the city, a lot of people head there for the day and it's not a large parcel of land. i guess the best time to try that peice of land is when the conditions are horrible and nobody wants to go outside. I'm sure it's great for small game hunting but as far as posting for either deer or yotes, I don't think you'll have the peace and quiet you'll be looking for. I may be wrong since I haven't been at Cranberry for years but from what I hear, there are too many people in those woods for you to do anything but hunt for birds or rabbits.

You need a red spot light for night hunting correct? I've never gone night hunting before. I'm assuming you spot them with the red spot light and then light them up with a regular light for the shot. I don't have a night vision scope on my .308. Do they get spooked very easily with the red spot light? Is it easy to shoot through a regular scope at night when you have the light on them? Curious to find out how this works.

Thanks for the help.

John

The reason you use a red filter on your light is because it wont spook them. Some of the newer LED spotlights with a bluish tint seem to have the same effect, but theres some debate on that. The way you do it is to spot and shoot them with the red spotlight (or led spotlight). A regular, white incandescent spotlight spooks them a shouldnt be used. Coyotes and fox are quick, and can turn and run in a hurry when spooked, you want to keep them distracted long enough to take the shot.

Go check out predatormastersforum.com or nypredatorhunters.proboards.com you can get lots of good night hunting tips there as well.