Trapper education course?

chas0218

So this might be a dumb question but where would someone sign up for the education course? I saw on the DEC website they have the course offered but when I looked for available courses there wasn't any. I have my bow and hunter education course but I have never saw or heard of a trapper education course. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

15+ years ago when I took mine it took me over a year to find one that was an hour plus away. Not many people are certified to give the courses anymore. Your best bet is to find someone that nuisance traps and ask them if they know someone that gives the course every year. If you can take the course that certifies you to nuisance trap too. It doesn't cost extra, I think it was only an extra hour long. Its just an added bonus in case you ever need to trap something out of your property off season. At least that's how it worked way back when I took my course. 

Here is a little info:

TRAPPER EDUCATION COURSES:

Register for a Trapper Education Course

The Trapper Education course is only offered as a "Home Study" option, which requires homework to be completed prior to

attending a field session led by an instructor.

Course Type

Online Registration Link

Course Information

Home Study Course

Register for a Trapper Education Home Study Course

Both parts of a home study course listed below must be completed. Students

should sign up and register for this type of course prior to starting the homework

• Part 1 - Complete a portion of the course on your own
    (will take at least 8 hours to complete).
    Refer to the Trapper Education Manual (PDF) (5mb) and complete the Trapper Education Homework Worksheet (PDF) (235KB). If you prefer a hard copy, the manual and worksheet can usually be picked up at the address noted on the
  • course schedule listing.
  • Part 2 - Attend a field session led by an instructor.
    You must attend the entire field session on the date(s) and at the location
  • indicated on the course schedule listing. The completed homework worksheet
  • must be brought to the field session.

General Course Details and Requirements

Course Topics Covered

Trapping safety and techniques

• Techniques to avoid catching non-targeted species
  • Prepare pelts to produce marketable furs
  • Laws and regulations of trapping

Age Restrictions/Requirements

None. (Note: When purchasing a trapping licenses, non-residents must be at least 16-years old. There is no age restriction for New York State residents).

Course Length

Minimum of 8 hours.

Trapper Education Certificate

Students must attend all sessions of the course, demonstrate proper attitude and safety, and pass a final exam of 40

questions. After successful completion of the course, students will receive a Trapper Education Certificate of

Qualification, which is required for purchasing a first-time trapping license in New York State.

• Like 1

Here is a little info:

TRAPPER EDUCATION COURSES:

Register for a Trapper Education Course

The Trapper Education course is only offered as a "Home Study" option, which requires homework to be completed prior to

attending a field session led by an instructor.

Course Type

Online Registration Link

Course Information

Home Study Course

Register for a Trapper Education Home Study Course

Both parts of a home study course listed below must be completed. Students

should sign up and register for this type of course prior to starting the homework

• Part 1 - Complete a portion of the course on your own

(will take at least 8 hours to complete).

Refer to the Trapper Education Manual (PDF) (5mb) and complete the Trapper Education Homework Worksheet (PDF) (235KB). If you prefer a hard copy, the manual and worksheet can usually be picked up at the address noted on the

• course schedule listing.
  • Part 2 - Attend a field session led by an instructor.

You must attend the entire field session on the date(s) and at the location

• indicated on the course schedule listing. The completed homework worksheet
  • must be brought to the field session.

General Course Details and Requirements

Course Topics Covered

Trapping safety and techniques

• Techniques to avoid catching non-targeted species
  • Prepare pelts to produce marketable furs
  • Laws and regulations of trapping

Age Restrictions/Requirements

None. (Note: When purchasing a trapping licenses, non-residents must be at least 16-years old. There is no age restriction for New York State residents).

Course Length

Minimum of 8 hours.

Trapper Education Certificate

Students must attend all sessions of the course, demonstrate proper attitude and safety, and pass a final exam of 40

questions. After successful completion of the course, students will receive a Trapper Education Certificate of

Qualification, which is required for purchasing a first-time trapping license in New York State.

The part I am having trouble with is the field session. Can anyone do the field session or do they have to be certified? I can find online courses but in the link it says ny will not accept an online course.