Ammo fussy 7600

Tughill Tamer

Hi guys,I have a reminton 7600 weathermaster in 308 cal that is very fussy as far as what kind of ammo it likes to eject.I won the gun about 10 yrs ago and I started out with Winchester 150 grains and about every third shot it would jam up on ejection.I then tryed some hornady 150 grains and it did the same.I eventually brought it to a gunsmith and after about 3 weeks he called and said your guns done.I went and picked it up and asked what has been the problem he said it worked fine, I said what do you mean it works fine? Then I asked him what he was using for ammo he said remington 150grain.He grabbed the gun and showed me and sure enough it ejected every round I never heard off a gun being that sensitive to what you feed it I don't know if I got a lemon or if anyone else has ever heard of this problem? I've stuck with the remintons and so far so good

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

I am no big gun expert or anything, but that sounds like something that might need further investigation .... Maybe a second opinion or something. You never know when even the Remingtons might start acting up too, and probably at some crucial time when a second shot is necessary.

However, I am not surprised about the Winchester's jamming. They are putting out some real crap these days.

post-11-0-25508900-1452681992_thumb.jpg

post-11-0-02394700-1452681743_thumb.jpg

post-11-0-01287700-1452681787_thumb.jpg

post-11-0-38127000-1452682045_thumb.jpg

These pics were as found right out of the box.

I am no big gun expert or anything, but that sounds like something that might need further investigation .... Maybe a second opinion or something. You never know when even the Remingtons might start acting up too, and probably at some crucial time when a second shot is necessary.

However, I am not surprised about the Winchester's jamming. They are putting out some real crap these days.

attachicon.gifbullets5.JPG

attachicon.gifbullets4.JPG

attachicon.gifbullets2.jpg

Yeah hopefully will find the problem don't like being forced to stick with just remington but right now they are the only ones I trust for that gun

If you have any of the ammo left from each type I would compare them side by side. Are you using the factory magazine? I had a similar problem with an aftermarket magazine in a 7400 that I used to own. Visually they looked the same but always had a problem with it. the 7600 and 7400 use the same mags. 

If you have any of the ammo left from each type I would compare them side by side. Are you using the factory magazine? I had a similar problem with an aftermarket magazine in a 7400 that I used to own. Visually they looked the same but always had a problem with it. the 7600 and 7400 use the same mags.

Yeah culver I'm using the factory magazine

My 7600 jammed with the Winchester super X loads. But it shoots Remington Core loks (150-180 grain) and Winchester Supreme Ballistic tips (150-168 grains) just fine. These are the only bullets I've shot through it.

Yeah I believe it was the Winchester super 's that were jamming in mine to,the core like seen to eject the best so far haven't tried to many other brands other than hornady,i guess I will stay with the core loks just didn't realize there was that much diference in the casings from one brand to another

Yeah I believe it was the Winchester super 's that were jamming in mine to,the core like seen to eject the best so far haven't tried to many other brands other than hornady,i guess I will stay with the core loks just didn't realize there was that much diference in the casings from one brand to another

Might not be the casings. As Doc showed, could be seating depth or OAL of the round

Sounds like a junk! Might wanna give it to me cheap!

On a serious note can you give a better description of the failure to eject? I have a half dozen 760's and 7600's so I have been inside them a lot. There was an issue with extraction where the bolt would lose the rim and the casing would stay in the chamber but that was a while ago and a limited number. As far as failing to extract they are a very simple design and aside from from "short shucking" or a broken pin I don't know what else it could be.

• Like 1

Sounds like a junk! Might wanna give it to me cheap!

On a serious note can you give a better description of the failure to eject? I have a half dozen 760's and 7600's so I have been inside them a lot. There was an issue with extraction where the bolt would lose the rim and the casing would stay in the chamber but that was a while ago and a limited number. As far as failing to extract they are a very simple design and aside from from "short shucking" or a broken pin I don't know what else it could be.

Failing to eject sry not extract.

Failing to eject sry not extract.

After the shot the pump only wants to come half way back acting like the casing is stuck.I have to jiggle the pump back and forth while also pushing in the release button that you would push to eject a live round eventually the pump will come all the way back ejecting the casing,might not be the best explanation but I hope this will better explain the problem

Technically this would be failure to extract but I think I'm following whatbyou are saying. I would bet it's one of the action bars on the slide. If they get bent or twisted they will cause the slide to "bind." The fact that it's only happened with some ammo is weird but if they are coming half way out of the chamber it pretty much alleviates the tight or dirty chamber idea. Holding the bolt release after the bolt is unlocked isn't doing anything unless the bolt release I broken or bent. Can u feel the action catching when moving the slide back and forth on an empty chamber?

Edited by Buckmaster7600