The Revenant, Hugh Glass and his motivation for living wasn't revenge, but his rifle!

Mr VJP

A very good article, by people who know history, regarding Hugh Glass, his past and his rifle.  He wasn't looking to get revenge.  He was looking to get his very rare muzzle loader back.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2016/1/11/the-revenant-hugh-glass-and-his-rifle/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=insider&utm_campaign=0116

• Like 2

A very good article, by people who know history, regarding Hugh Glass, his past and his rifle.  He wasn't looking to get revenge.  He was looking to get his very rare muzzle loader back.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2016/1/11/the-revenant-hugh-glass-and-his-rifle/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=insider&utm_campaign=0116

That was a good, informative read.  Thanks for sharing.  I hope to read Myers' Pirate, Pawnee, and Mountain Man: The Saga of Hugh Glass at some point.

• Like 1

Saw the movie this week. Was pretty good.

DiCaprio also manages to reload a pistol while astride a horse at full gallop in what would seem to be record timing

This is true, I noticed this.

Actually, the least accurate part about the movie isn't the guns, it's not even the plot, it's the exposure these people were given in the movie yet didn't die. Basically: if you get soaking wet in the winter you are dead. It's that simple. Yet Leo's character doesn't seem to. Others have no qualms about walking through ice cold water, and saturating all their clothing. Guaranteed path to frostbite unless all their boots were very high and waterproof (maybe they were, I don't know for sure).

So in the end, it was Glass’s rifle that bought him 10 years of extra life, and it also avenged him after it had ceased to be of earthly use to him. 

That actually would have, dare I say, made the movie better because of the truth.

---

But overall it was a really solid movie. It was beautifully shot and worth watching. I still prefer last of the mohicans, which is even less accurate ;)

Edited by Core
  • Like 1

Having read historical accounts of Hugh Glass and seeing both "Man in the Wilderness" as well as "The Revenant", "Man in the Wideness" was far closer to actual events & a better movie over all IMO.

That being said, the bear attack scenes in "The Renenant" made going to a big screen surround sound cinema worth it. We had 4th row seats in the center of a less than 1/2 full theater.

The scene where he came upon the wolves on a buffalo kill was disappointing as that was one of the truly astounding parts of the factual story. He beat the wolves of with a club in the historical version. The native was included in the plot to weave a complicated story line that was far less amazing than the factual events.

Edited by wildcat junkie

I have not seen the film yet, but intend to.  I've known the story of Glass for decades.  Funny how any movie about him has to be fiction, because there is so little real documented information about him.  We do know he was born in Philadelphia and worked as an apprentice for a well known gun maker before he left.

As an aside, how many know that Jeremiah "Liver Eating" Johnson was actually born and raised in what is now Hunterdon County, NJ?

The bear attack scene made be reconsider my desire to hunt for a big brown bear with a bow.  lol

If you were going to do it W/O @ least 458 Lott as back-up you're crazy.

Fred Bear had a guy backing him up W/a 458 Win Mag when he bow hunted Brown Bears on Kodiak Island. Supposedly there is video of that same guy shooting clay pigeons with the 458 from the stern of the boat they lodged on .(it wasn't considered prudent to tent camp on Kodiak Island)

That's the guy I would want backing me up if I was ballsy enough to bow hunt Brown Bear in the 1st place.

Edited by wildcat junkie

I have not seen the film yet, but intend to.  I've known the story of Glass for decades.  Funny how any movie about him has to be fiction, because there is so little real documented information about him.  We do know he was born in Philadelphia and worked as an apprentice for a well known gun maker before he left.

As an aside, how many know that Jeremiah "Liver Eating" Johnson was actually born and raised in what is now Hunterdon County, NJ?

If I remember correctly, "Liver Eatin' Johnson" died of old age in a California city.

If I remember correctly, "Liver Eatin' Johnson" died of old age in a California city.

I found this.

His final residence was in a veterans home in Santa Monica, California. He was there for exactly one month before dying on January 21, 1900.[citation needed] His body was buried in a Los Angeles veterans cemetery.[citation needed] However, after a six-month campaign led by 25 seventh grade students and their teacher, Johnson's body was relocated to Cody, Wyoming in June 1974.[6]

Shooting dangerous critters like brown or grizzly bears or dangerous African game with bows and arrows rates basically in the STUNT category, like shooting turkey gobblers with a  .410, except much more hazardous.

Before you stick an arrow in one of those monsters with your "play toy" , just realize that the odds are  about 50-50 that the guy beside you with a rifle with a bore about the size of your thumb is going to have to finish the job for you.  It happened to Fred Bear on numerous occasions.

If you want to pick a fight with a Kodiak, go ahead,  but use an adequate weapon.

Sure, a bow with a sharp broadhead will kill any animal on earth, but the question is, will it kill the beast BEFORE it has time to kill you ?  Only if you happen to get lucky...

• Like 1

There's a historical marker on a back road near Bloomsbury, NJ that claims to be the place where Johnson was raised.  I used to have a photo of it, but I think it was only on a phone I no longer have.  He went west from there as a young man.

There's a historical marker on a back road near Bloomsbury, NJ that claims to be the place where Johnson was raised. I used to have a photo of it, but I think it was only on a phone I no longer have. He went west from there as a young man.

thats interesting. Next time I'm down there I'd like to find that