Satellite internet?

wooly

Anyone here got it?

I need you to tell me if I like it or not.

I don't notice any difference from my previous Verizon or Time Warner connections yet.

Basically all I use it for is browsing sites like this forum, and loading pictures to my site.

Got hooked up to Hughes Net since it was all that was available in my area without being on a never ending waiting list (Verizon), or paying outrageous ($1500) excavation/installation fees for Time Warner to run a line from the nearest pole 300ft away.

Now that I'm back online reading the reviews, I'm getting nervous about this inter-galactic space ship stuff beaming signals to my hunting portholes!

Anyone here have any experience with this service?

I use Exede, which is Wildblue not Hughes. The service is reliable. My speeds are faster than local Time Warner. Video chatting has a voice delay of several seconds. The data limits are a nuisance - which is why I seldom watch the videos people post. You can avoid data limits by going on-line during middle of the night - when I am sleeping. Or, you can buy a bigger plan, or one GB at a time. For years there has been talk of high speed rural wireless around here. Now they are saying by 2018.

• Like 1

I had it when I first moved to Steuben County as at the time, it was the only game in town in 2007. I HATED it. Unreasonable daily data limits, and slooow. A hair better than dial up.

Verizon has added a new towers since then so I switched to wireless. It's better, but expensive and I don't get anywhere near the speed they advertise. Plus data limits means streaming video is a no-go unless I want $350+ monthly bills.

Time Warner is two miles away from me, so not an affordable option (quoted 50k+ for the line extension). 

However if I had an option to pay $1500 for a Roadrunner connection, I'd jump on it in a second. I had Roadrunner for years when I lived in Rochester. Satellite and wireless internet is a distant, distant second compared to the speed and reliability of cable.

I'm not sure if Time Warner has changed their rules, but they supplied the cable that I put into my pre-existing trench, and did all the connections at no cost to me. The cable only had to be "underground". Mine is about 6 to 8" down.

Two guys with a box-o-beer and a trenching shovel can do 300 feet before lunch.

We have 5 or 6 houses on my rd willing to sign 2 yr contracts right now and they still won't run it....said we need to expand...not gonna happen all road front taken. Said 35k to run it and it's only half mile down the hill. We signed a notorized paper saying we would commit and have all called and complained and got nowhere I want time Warner bad lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

From what I understand (my neighbors across the way use satellite internet, and I think it's Hughes Net), the download speeds are okay, but the upload speeds rely on your copper phone lines.  And then distance from the hub, and traffic on the line play into speed as well.  That is, upload speeds are usually slow.

I decided on another option when TWC asked for 10k to run a line (on poles) 1/4 of a mile to the mouth of my driveway.  I purchased a cell phone booster, and then added a hot-spot to my data plan.  15 gigs between four of us, including phone, and it's fine.  But...  we don't watch videos, nor stream radio or music.  We just browse the web, pay bills, order items, and work when needed.

Speeds (both upload and download) can be LTE or 4G based on the type of booster you get and the signal strength between your antennae and the tower. 

All in all, I think it's been a better option than satellite for us.

• Like 1