Was watching NBC news, this story came on: 6 Year Old Attacked by Coyote in NY

burmjohn

A 6-year-old girl was attacked by a coyote outside her house in Rye, the commissioner's office said this morning.

The attack happened in the Glenn Oaks area. The child is expected to recover. No further information or details on the extent of her injuries were immediately available.

The Rye Commissioner's Office planned a news conference this afternoon to discuss the attack.

This isn't the first coyote sighting in Rye. In April, a coyote attacked and killed an 80-year-old woman's beloved miniature poodle.

Westchester is teeming with the mangy mutts, and as overcrowding, exacerbated by an imminent birthing season, pushes coyotes to seek less densely populated homes, some may seek refuge in the city, experts say. But the lack of habitat in big city environments could push them onto the streets and into city parks.

Coyotes took Manhattan four times this year, wreaking havoc in Tribeca, commandeering Chelsea and sending Columbia students racing to their dorms in fear of the carnivorous canines spotted prowling around campus grounds.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local-beat/6-Year-Old-Attacked-by-Coyote-97225214.html

They are getting more brave every year.  Hopefully the DEC will open a year round season.

Would somebody explain to me why these things are even protected at all? There is plenty of evidence that shows there is no way that you could ever wipe them out. Not only that, but these critters are at the top of their food chain with absolutely no natural controls other than disease. What possible harm could it do to simply take all protections off them?

Doc

I have tried my luck with Yotes and only killed 2 . I cannot bring myself to sit out in freezing weather to shoot them . With deer , it's a different story as that puts meat on the table . I made a Coyote Caller , bought tapes and it just collect dust . I should give it to my son and see if he wants to try it out . I used on my sister in laws property in Geneseo and the caller brought in some fox but she doesn't want them shot as she belongs to the Genesee Valley Hunt Club . They chase the fox on horseback .

http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj146/parker-bows/?action=view&current=FasteddieshomemadeCoyoteCaller_0001.flv