PICKING THE BOW THAT'S RIGHT FOR YOU

william152016

Hey,
My first post will be about picking the bow that's right for you.
First off you need to decide if you want to shoot compound archery or recurve. That is totally up to you. Because it doesn't really matter. You can also shoot long bow archery but I don't know anything about it so this blog will only talk about recurve and compound archery. Sorry for any inconvenience.
The second thing you will want to do is find out which hand to hold the bow. If you are right eyed then you hold your bow in your right hand. I you are left eyed then you hold it in your left hand. The best way to find out which eye is dominant you are is to put your hands together to make a hole the shape of a triangle. First look at something small with both eyes, then close one eye if you if the object your looking at moves then you're the opposite eye that you closed. If you can still see it perfectly then that's the eye you aim with.
The third thing you need to know is your draw length. The draw length is how far you pull back the string. You can find out yours by dividing your arm span by 2.5.
Picture
Now that you know your draw length you can use the chart below to determine how long your recurve bow should be. (Note that it does not matter how tall your bow is if you shoot compound.)
Calculated Draw Length = Bow Size:
14" to 16" = 48" Bow

17" to 20" = 54" Bow
20" to 22" = 58" Bow
22" to 24" = 62" bow

24" to 26" = 64" to 66" bow
26" to 28" = 66" to 68" bow

28" to 30" = 68" to 70" bow
31" and longer = 70" to 72" bow
I hope these tips will help you find the best compound bow. If you have a question or request feel free to comment. Stay tuned in for more posts.

go to a good archery shop and get measured for draw length, then try out several brands of compound bows, you will know the right one as it will just feel good in your hand. Also do not get over bowed ( to heavy a peak draw weight ) you can take down all US deer with as little as 40 lbs bow weight, you do not need a bow setup for 70 lbs peak draw weight. I now have mine setup for just 55 lbs, can shoot 3D's all day long with out being over tired.

• Like 1

I disagree with you don't have to worry about your axle to axle length on a compound , I am a true 32 inch draw and would not consider shooting anything below a 34 inch axle to axle bow. Yes one doesn't have to worry about short AtoA bows being touchy to shoot like some older models but some long AtoA bows are just a joy to shoot.

Edited by rob-c

Think you got the bow hand wrong because I am right dominant and have the bow in my left hand.  Most right handed people shoot with the bow in the left hand.  A good archery shop is the way to go, they will let you test some bows before you buy. 

• Like 1

What's a "celebrity spammer"?

No offense, but the OP made it sound like someone trying to start his own personal "blog" within our forums.  I'm a little confused about his presence and purpose.

Or is it just someone trying to give basic knowledge.

What's a "celebrity spammer"?

No offense, but the OP made it sound like someone trying to start his own personal "blog" within our forums.  I'm a little confused about his presence and purpose.

Or is it just someone trying to give basic knowledge.

very basic